J-16NS Review

manufacturer: Farida date: 05/14/2007 category: Acoustic Guitars
Western jumbo made in '06 in China, 20 medium frets, sonekelin fretboard (looks and feels kinda like rosewood), grover tuners, solid sitka spruce top, mahogany back, sides and neck, natural satin finish.
 8.3
 9.6
 6.9
 1,723
review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
J-16NS Reviewed by: p-nutz, on may 14, 2007

Features: Western jumbo made in '06 in China, 20 medium frets, sonekelin fretboard (looks and feels kinda like rosewood), grover tuners, solid sitka spruce top, mahogany back, sides and neck, natural satin finish, comes with Farida hardcase, absolutely no complaints here, I got the display model as I really liked the sound of it and all was perfect, not a mark on it. // 10

Sound: Great boomy sound for strumming and sensitive enough for fingerstyle playing. I play a bit of everything and it always sounds great. Has a really rich warm sound which made me choose it over many other well known brands. I even prefared it's sound over guitars nearing the 1K mark and played a couple of Martins, Epiphones, Takamines and Fenders, basical most of the guitars Dawsons stock. Nothing had a sound like this one, hence me taking the display model. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action is exactly what you would expect on an acoustic guitar but is very playable. There was a little bit of glue on the top of the guitar but it came off easily enough. Tuners are solid and hold well. No high or sharp frets. I'd prefare 2 strap buttons rather than having to tie a strap to the headstock but I suppose if I was that bothered I could put another on myself. don't like the pickguard, there's nothing wrong with it but I don't like how it looks. Farida's website says that it has black binding but mine has black and white 5 ply. I don't know if they still do that now though. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have never gigged but I am sure this guitar would withstand Live playing no bother. I've hit if off doorframes, dropped it, caught the top on table corners etc and there's not even a scratch on it. I'd use it without a backup. I'll give it a 9 as I haven't gigged with it so am not really one to comment. // 9

Overall Impression: I love this guitar and don't plan on getting another acoustic guitar. Nothing I have played has had the same warm sound which I just adore. I played a few epiphones and takamines and some other brands I don't remember before deciding on the J-16NS and nothing came close. Even the 800 acoustics I played just didn't appeal to me as much, not that I could have got one of them anyway! I've been playing for almost a year and a half and started on an Ovation applause, great starter guitar but yeah, rather tinny and weedy but you wouldn't expect much for the price. I also have a mexican strat, Ibanex RG350DX and Roland Cube-60 but seeing as this is an acoustic review I'll not go into them. I love everything about this guitar except the pickguard, may change it to a tortoise shell one although I removed the stock one and had to put it back on, the glue smells terrible and the wood underneath was paler from not being exposed and I couldnt Live with that. If it was stolen I would definately get another after beating the twit Who stole it round the head with my lesser Ovation! I can only assume this guitar will get better with age, the top has already started to turn a lovely golden colour from the sun. // 10

Comments