CD-220SCE review by Fender

Fender: CD-220SCE

Purchased from: Willcutt Guitars

She has a very warm sound to her. I have frequently played on two ends of the price spectrum, a Fender CD100 and a Martin D-15. I would describe this guitar as being darker than the Martin, but on the Martin the sound is crisper and the individual notes pop out more. I play a wide range of music and this guitar is able to meet my requirements pretty well. It can get pretty loud on its own, but.... ...When plugged in I use it with a Fender FM15 DSP. On clean it has a pretty accurate sound, if a little synthetic. The Chorus and Reverb really add depth and texture as is true for most Acoustic-electrics.

I play many different forms of rock and contemporary music acoustically. While I play a lot of metal on my electric, I really can't translate that to an Acoustic and I don't think i would want to. For what I play this guitar is a good match. It is warm but the sound also likes to hang in the mid, no heavy bass on the bottom E and no heavy treb at the top. For this reason I think it would do well in almost all genres. If you can play it, this guitar can do it. Like I said before it is beautiful in sound and look. The appearance matches how it plays spot on. The neck is fast and the strings are light. The hardware quality is above what I would have expected for a $600 guitar, and honestly I think that this guitar has better hardware than my Strat. Ebony is a beautiful wood. if you haven't checked out an ebony guitar yet I highly recommend it. You will fall in love.

She has a solid feel and I am confident with playing Live. Like most Fenders, it should stand up over the years and should only get better with time. The single rear strap button also doubles as the line jack. At first this worried me, but it is held in by 3 screws and it has a wide base. I haven't heard of any guitars like this having problems and after playing it with the amp I feel more confident in it.

The action was great for me. I started on an electric, so a lot of the acoustics had actions that were difficult and annoying for me to play. This one was an easy and natural transition. Aside form the extra thickness in the body, the fast neck and cutaway design allow you to play it like an electric. The low gauge strings also allow for easy string bends which adds to the electric like style. The body is beautiful. It's one of the better looking mass-produced guitars in my opinion. The fingerboard is rosewood with what I think is plastic fret inlays. Overall the guitar has a warm and dark look to it. The woods, save for the spruce top have a depth to them and show their grain. The only flaws that I have seen so far are around the top of the neck, where the guitar was hung on display, and the outer edges of the control box for the pre-amp. It looks like the plastic rubbed against something in storage. There aren't any major flaws that would detract from the guitar as a whole.

Body Style: Fender Style Dreadnought, Single Cutaway Acoustic Electric Colors: (021) Natural Finish: Gloss,(Polyurethane) Top: Solid Spruce Bracing: X Bracing Back and Sides: Laminated Asian Striped Ebony Neck: Nato Fingerboard: Rosewood No. of Frets: 20 Bridge: Rosewood with Compensated Saddle Machine Heads: Gold, (Die-Cast) Electronics: Fishman Aero Pickup System with Active On-Board Pre-Amp which Features: Volume, Integrated Electronic Tuner with On/Off Switch, Bass, Mid, Treble, Phase, Low Battery Indicator Light Size: Scale Length 25.3" (643mm) Body Depth 3.94" (100mm) to 4.92" (125mm) Width at Nut 1.69" (43mm) Width at Heel 2.24" (57mm) Unique Features: Dual Action Truss Rod, Dot Position Inlays, Black Pickguard, Inlaid Back Center Stripe Mosaic Strings: D'Addario EXP-26 Phosphor Bronze, Gauges .011 to .052 The first thing I noticed about this guitar is the speed of the neck. It's fast. A lot of acoustics have necks that stick to your hand and can really slow you down. Not this one, the finish is smooth than my Strat although the neck feels a but bigger. The gold hardware is a nice touch, it matches well with the dark rosewood and ebony. The tuner is easy to use and effective. You just push the power and go.

Essarr
    I was looking to purchase an acoustic/electric as a college graduation gift for my neice (who enjoys playing jazz chords and some finger picking) when I came across your review. I think your review sums up the CD220SCE quite nicely. Thank you. I am not really a guitarist, but I have built a couple of acoustics (one dreadnought and one small body) during the early 80's. I had lined up Fender's CD140SCE, CD220SCE, CD280SCE and a Washburn D-10 on the wishlist. And I think your review has got me swaying towards the CD220SCE. MusicalGirl's CD140SCE review is great too, but I think that the sound of the 220SCE is more wholesome than the 140SCE (a bit thin). Again, the gold touch on the Grovers may be a plus when it comes to ladies. Thanks again, Zmatt..!
    Flatroc
    I had a Fender CD220SCE and traded it for a different sound. Got a MIC Guild, but dumped it. Now have a Martin D28, love it but... I'm still looking to replace my Fender CD220SCE acoustic.
    CptRevell
    I really like the looks of that acoustic, especially the side woods. Not sure how I feel about Fender Acoustics in general though...
    .QOTSA.
    I love my fender acoustic, and its a very low line one. I bet this one is really really nice.
    Serjem
    I'm thinking of getting something like this... does anyone know if fender makes left handed ones too?
    sam mad-man
    it is rather nice, im not a huge fan of the electro acoustic but i do like that one. my fender electric serves me well so i hope this folows the same theme
    jean_genie
    Gross generalization: Fenders don't sound good unless they're plugged in. That can be said for most cutaways though. If you're mostly playing live, this guitar is pretty solid - a friend has one. Without an amp, the cutaway (and more rigid construction of the Fenders) make it sound far too thin to my ears.
    jonnyrotten1264
    maybe fender learned something from owning GUILD Accoustic GUITARS, I LOVE MY GUILD and sold a MARTIN to get it, I have own a few fender accoustic and I have to say Junk everyone, but I love my strat and my telecaster but fender accoustic haven't hear or seen a good one ever
    concert_addict
    i would say that the Fender acoustics i have played arent too bad, but for the money, my Simon and Patrick kicks ass. anything in the "Godin family of guitars" (Simon and Patrick, Art and Lutherie, Seagul, etc.) are incredible for the price. Made in Canada, so the quality of materials and craftsmanship is really great. thats what i would recommend instead of a more recognizable name that costs more and is made half-way across the world in a factory that pays its employees a nickel a day, but thats only my personal opinion. i am not a true expert by any means.
    ozy!d!ot
    i love my fender acoustic. it does the job it needs to do, though i would like a 'faster' acoustic if you get what i mean.
    Zmatt
    When I bought this guitar I also tried out several other acoustics including an Epiphone master built. The Fender plays much better and sounds better too. I don't know what to call it, but it sounded more like what an acoustic was supposed to sound like to me. Also, thanks for all the comments.