CD-60 review by Fender

Fender: CD-60

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Compared to other guitars in it's price range, which is how I'm grading it, the Fender is a good pick. It suit's my music style pretty well. I usually play grunge, Indie, alternative, post-punk, metal, and punk. When I use this Acoustic it is used mainly for slide or something like the Violent Femmes. The guitar plays with a very bright and full tone; the notes come out clear and it's not muddy sounding. My only complaint is that it sounds really bad when bronze strings are being used, but that's common and can easily be changed.

The Fender CD60 fit's my music styles(which I mentioned in the second paragraph). I have been playing guitar for about 6 years, and I own multiple other guitars that are all in my profile. If this guitar was stolen, I would be pretty pissed, but I would probably save up for a more advanced Acoustic. I love that it is durable, has a beautiful finish, and suit's most of my music styles, I can't really think of anything I dislike. It's perfect for playing for a small gig, or a jam session. I wish it dispensed cotton candy, but that's a long way from now.

This guitar can very well withstand a Live gig. It's been thrown, messed with by audience members, and covered in birthday cake and beer, yet it's still in one piece. But, I recommend that you bring a back up guitar because that's just common knowledge. The strap buttons are very solid, and they aren't even close to being loose yet. The sunburst finish is very strong, It withstood being smacked against a table and falling onto a sidewalk, and didn't start becoming damaged until it was taken to a large gig.

When I first got the guitar, the action needed to be adjusted because it was too high, and it buzzed if you played anything other than a light strum, but that's not really a big deal. The finish was very smooth and shiny. For the four years I've had this guitar, I've never had a problem with the tuners, unlike some other Fender acoustics... The frets were set properly and did not cut me or anything.

My Fender CD-60 was made in China, in 2006. Like everyone else has said, it has 20 frets, 25.5" scale, nato neck, with sonokeling fingerboard, and the bridge is Sonokeling with Compensated Saddle. The finish is Sunburst Gloss Polyurethane Finish. The body is Fender Style Dreadnought. The guitar features Dual Action Truss Rod, Black Pickguard, Scalloped X Bracing, Dot Position Inlays, Compensated Urea Saddle, and a Gold Silkscreened Fender Logo. When I bought it, the guitar came with a hardshell case with the Fender logo on it.

SocialismCross
    bcrich_kkv wrote: the strings, are they far back from the neck or are they pretty close
    On mine, they are far from the neck, and that's what i don't like about this guitar. For the sound, it's amazing for the price. it goes of tuning sometimes too
    sta0005
    I bought one of these 6 months ago, the CD60CE, which is the same guitar but with a cutaway and a pickup. I love it. It was $240 Australian, and came with a decent hard-shell case. Sounds beautiful and it's nearly indestructable. I'm a bit of a QOTSA fan so I've even tried playing it in C standard and it holds up nicely once you put some heavier guage strings on it. A quality guitar for a fantastic price
    skidooer
    Purchased a cd60sb model at the West Edmonton Mall. It caught my attention because i'm already the owner of an expensive Fender model and i was looking for something cheap to take to the oil field where i worked. So i sat down and played it a little and the sound alone sold me. At that time i didn't know that a beautiful Fender solid airline approved case went with it. The price on the guitar was $225.00 and it didn't say anything about it being a package. For a total of 230.00 bucks i got the guitar and case a new set of strings and a lovely electronic tuner. So with that i purchased the deal. I got out of there quick because i felt like the lady on the ad where she screams to her husband, "Start the car, Start the car". I have been taking this to oil sites since 2006 and it's been on airlines and it still sounds good even when it's been transported from 30 degrees celcius to -45 degrees celcius. I just put it in my room under my bed for a day or so, so it don't warp. Take it out and play it and have jams most nights from room to room after a long hard days work. You can't go wrong with this guitar. I like it just as much as my Top line Fender electric/acoustic.
    gig_surfer
    im thinkin about getting this guitar for my bday. ill be paying [u]$200.00[/u], but it should be coming with a hard case. does this seem like a reasonable price for anyone tht has this guitar?
    SanTropez
    bought the CD60CE in natural a few months back and it really is a great guitar for the price, particularly nice sound and decent enough action. Sonokeling isn't great fretboard material i must say, but you get used to it.
    satbir15
    I bought this 6 mounths ago. It was hard to hold down the strings but i got in shape. The sound was very deep when i got it. Im thinking about getting the strings changed cause im tiring of the tone. Buy this guitar, its awsome! NOW, i mean go get it right now. No not later, NOW.
    jaknzax
    Wild_Rose wrote: Here's a cool video on how to change strings
    I use the Gibson J200 Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings 11-52 and they sound much better than the stock strings. But I'd also like to know which strings go best with this guitar
    livlaughlove
    AJH0014
    livlaughlove wrote: how do you get it to stop buzzing? it bugs the mess out of me! any ideas? besides staying quiet?
    You can raise the action by changing the guage of the strings to a lighter guage, If you want the keep the same guage adjust the truss Rod, or replace the saddles, you could even get a sanding block with 400 grade sand paper and get a perminant marker and gently sand the frets without pushing hard, then polish them with 1000 grade and steel wool (only as a final solution).
    wilson479
    I bought this guitar in 2007 but it pretty much sat in the vase for the first year. The action was way too high and really killed my fingers to play. I took it to my local guitar shop and the guy filled more than half the saddle away, adjusted the truss rod and stuck a fresh set of strings on there. It cost around 25 including the strings for this work. Since then it has been the most amazing guitar to play. Nice to play and an amazing sound. I would recommend keeping the strings like a .012 gauge because the sound looses a lot of "body" if you put smaller strings on. Basically if you are a new player and end up with one of these guitars that plays like a cheese grater, just take it to your local guitar shop. They will have it playing like a world class instrument for little more than the price of a new set of strings.
    knotrice
    Played this today (oh btw, I live in Australia and it comes with a hardcase here too. Surprising). It sounded wonderful and felt it too. Hoping to get it as a first steel-string acoustic.
    soubhik
    I bought this guitar 4month ago... awsum guitar..sounds gr8.. but aftr 4 month my 1st n 2nd strings started touching fret board n still prblm has not been solved.. have adjusted d neck but still prblm remains same.... pls help me..what should i do?
    spwny
    I bough the acoustic electric version of this guitar (CD60CE) 1 week ago and I'm in love with it already. My previous (and first) guitar was a classical guitar with nylon strings, when I started to play on my new brand CD60CE I got amazed with the sound it can provide. Just search on youtube for "Fender CD60CE" and check some videos of people playing it, you will certainly like it!