CD-60CE review by Fender

Fender: CD-60CE

Purchased from: Local music store

I'm a beginning guitarist for the past four months, I like to play some rock and metal but this acoustic I use it for strumming (who doesn't love to strum "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" on an acoustic guitar?) and practicing picking individual strings. Because of the solid mahogany top, this guitar sounds much better than its MSRP suggests. The highs sound nice without being too bright, and the lows sound bassy. This is a great sounding guitar. And it will only get better with time once the mahogany starts to open up. When plugged in it tkes a while to dial in the tone, but once dialed in, she sounds pretty good. Cool thing also is that the tuner bypasses the pickup so you can go to alternate tunings and not worry about being amplified while tuning the guitar. I give it a ten in sound because of the price.

I'm writing this review two weeks after purchase so I can avoid any NGD bias. I've been playing for four months and my style is rock and metal. I'm looking forward to get into other styles of playing with this guitar and I mostly use it to practice and strum chords. But eventually I would like to learn finger style, jazz blues or even classical. I think this guitar will be perfect for whatever you wish to play. Is there anything I wish I asked before buying it? Maybe a strap. Seriously at less then $300 this guitar (and hard case!) is a killer deal. If it was lost or stolen I would be very upset because chances are that I won't find another one since this guitar was such a short production run. What a really love about this guitar is the sound. That solid mahogany top made the other laminated CD60's and other laminated top guitars sound like toy guitars. The Fishman pre amp with the tuner is an awesome feature as well. The only thing I hated about it was the high action but it was an easy fix. I believe I need to mention this again. This CD60CE is NOT at the Fender website. It is different to the current 2012 CD60CE because the new ones come with laminated spruce tops. This one is a SOLID MAHOGANY TOP! It's easy to spot too when it's next to the other CD60's, it's the only one with the dark natural color instead of the light natural, black, or sunburst colors the current CD60CE is offered. If you spot this at your local Fender dealer give it a try. And then pick up a laminated CD60 and you'll hear the sound difference!

This guitar is very well built. I would gig with it with no backup. The strap buttons are good, and the hardware looks like of decent quality. Also this guitar hold its tune very well. The finish is nice and glossy and the natural dark mahogany grains are stunning.

Action was way too high, at least for me. I have some well formed callus and I had to press those strings to the point of some discomfort to get a clean non muted sound. This was a non issue since the guitar tech at the store lowered the action for me and now it's perfect! Rating of 7 because of the high action. It was borderline unplayable with the factory setup.

- Model year: 2011 - Country of manufacture: China - Neck: 25.3 scale, rosewood fingerboard, 20 frets dual action truss rod. - Solid mahogany top - Laminated nato back and sides - Nato neck - Bridge: rosewood with compensated saddle - Nut width: 1.69" - Electronics: Fishman Isys III with active pre-amp and chromatic tuner. Volume, bass, mid, and treble controls. - Non-locking chrome tuners - MOP rossette design. - Fender hard shell case included