CD-60CE All Mahogany review by Fender

• Dreadnought (cutaway), 20 frets, 25.3" scale length
  • Laminated Mahogany for Back, sides and top
  • Body Finish Gloss Polyurethane
  • Bridge: Rosewood with Compensated Synthetic Bone Saddle
  • Electronics: Fishman Isys III System (Active Preamp and Tuner)
  • Included accessories: truss rod adjusting wrench

Overall the CD60CE feels sturdier and better made that the all mahogany one. I guess the difference on tone wood is key in this fact. This difference is the only reason why I rate it 7.

I am on my way of learning, so, this guitar meets my basic needs so far. For now, I am not really using the electronics; acoustics only! It has a fair projection/volume on acoustics only. (better than previous Rollins at least), the sound leans towards a bright sound with nice deep ranges. Sound is deep and nice, but, not very rich; the sound range feels a bit limited. The sound is better than my first no-brand guitar (definitely!) but, the sound range would seem a little bit limited in comparison with a Rollins Mendocino.

Action was rather good right out of the box, but it still needed adjustment to lower it. Overall, the guitar is well built, I found no flaws, either mechanical, electronic and/or acoustic. The pins that came with the guitar are really, really crappy; I just replaced them with some wooden ones. In my opinion, though the finish and color seems nice, it tends to get boring in time; perhaps some more colors or details would make it more attractive. The size is rather good for my body size (5.70ft).

Yes, I believe it would withstand live playing. For a cheap laminated guitar, yes, the hardware seems to be able last a while. I would use it on a gig. So far, the finish has endured some bumps and scratches, so, it seems to be a good enough finish. The hard case was not included in my country; I would have to buy it separately, for $75... So, I had to buy some soft case while I get something better, shame. Overall, I would say that the regular/normal/basic care should be enough to give this guitar a fair working life.

My first guitar was a local no-brand guitar, then I got a Rollins Mendocino and then I got this Fender. Based on that, my opinion is that the Fender is a good choice for a beginner, the action is very workable right out of the box and with some adjusting its just perfect. The tone richness feels limited though the sound is deep and nice. If you have no other options to get a full acoustic (without electronics), in this price range, I do recommend this guitar. On the other hand, if you have the chance to get, for example a Washburn WD10S (full acoustic, solid top) go for it.