DG-11E review by Fender

Fender: DG-11E

Purchased from: Guitar Center on closeout

I was actually really impressed by the sound of this guitar. I've been playing for over 12 years, and I've heard guitars costing twice as much sound like crap in comparison. The sound projects well without the boominess some dreadnoughts suffer from. The bridge is in an excellent spot for light/heavy palm muting and the harmonics really seem to jump out when playing. I've read where people gripe about the sound plugged in. Many peizo pickups sound sort of nasally through an electric amp- I suggest turning the tone all the way down or using an Acoustic amp. All in all, it probably won't pass for a Marin D28 to ears that know, but for what it cost I couldn't be happier with it.

Overall, I've been happily surprised with the DG-11E. It has a warm, rich tone and quite decent plugged in sounds (if you take the time to mess with it). For a reasonable price, you get a respected name brand wit good feel and awesome vibe. But, more importantly, you get an instument you can live with, day in and day out. It doesn't ask a lot, but it gives a lot in return. Is this the nicest Acoustic ever made? No. Is this the nicest Acoustic ever made for the price? Maybe...

As stated above, I've had over half a decade of success with the instument with no major problems. It seems to prefer some types of strings over others, but I suppose that's not unusal for an acoustic. Though I've drug it through numerous states, apartments, gigs, etc. and it has gotten its fair share of digs and thumps, its never appeared unduely abused or have any paint flake off.

The action is surprisingly fast for an acoustic. Even more impressive, the intonation was dead on- every fret, every string was perfect. No buzzing, dead spots, or cruddy sounds to speak of (6 years now and counting). Tuning stabability seems pretty good, which is important if you gig a lot and don't get a lot of time to sound check.

As most of the other reviews have alluded to, this is a pretty standard setup dreadnought acoustic. The guitar has 20 frets, onboard peizo pickup with tone and volume controls, and I believe nato back and sides. The model I own has a gloss black finish, which I always thought was striking on an acoustic. It would be awesome if it included an onboard tuner, but this is a small personal complaint.