DG-14S review by Fender

Fender: DG-14S

Purchased from: My Music Megastore

It plays well. Very well. I play a lot of Dashboard Confessional, Jack Johnson. That kind of stuff and it keeps up well. It has a very bright sound to it. The sound was a lot better than all the other acoustics in this price range. A nice guitar indeed.

I've been playing about 2 years and own a Squier Strat and an El Cheapo Ashton classical guitar. This is my best guitar. The one I enjoy playing the most. If it were lost or stolen, I would buy something else, but that's only because I've had it a while now, and I've got a bit more money. I love the whole guitar. I don't hate anything about it. I love how it hasn't given me any problems at all. It's a really fun and nice sounding guitar. The Fender DG-14S was superior to all the other guitars in it's price range. Other guitars I compared it to were an Ibanez and a Squier. I wish it had better strings, but hey, I can always get them.

This guitar will last quite a while. Take it on your concerts, it's not likely to go wrong. Every aspect of the construction of this guitar is great, it would last a lot of gigs and I don't think you'd need a backup. But just to be safe, eh? I tend to eat through my finishes, but this one's holding up nicely.

Every guitar is different, but every DG-14S I played was great. The only flaw in the guitar I bought was a bit of a rough job on the nut, but that doesn't effect my playing. It really is a quality package for the price.

This guitar has no indication of where it was made, but I'm assuming it was made in China considering the price. It was made in 2004 and shipped over to Australia before 2005. This dreadnought guitar has 20 nice-sized frets layed out on a Rosewood fingerboard. It is a solid top spruce, with laminated maple back and sides and a nato neck. The finish is a nice polyurethane gloss. The rosewood bridge has a compensated saddle. There is no electronics at all. That's right, all natural. The die-cast chrome machine-heads keep their tune well. The guitar comes with an allen key to bow or hump the neck, and a spare bridge. Very good package for the price.

Scepanovich
    It looks like it's a Martin D-18 copy. Could that be the reason why it was discontinued?
    sam.deeks.7
    I've had mine since 2003 and it's getting better with age. I've just lowered the action (took a bit off the bridge saddle) and it's even better. I can't fault this guitar - it is utterly dependable; stays in tune perfectly and has perfect intonation. It's not flashy, there have been times when I wanted something else with a bit more...I don't know...character maybe but each time I come back to this reliable, understated classic.
    HilikusJB14
    This guitar was great to me for over a year. Unfortunately the frets are starting to sink into the neck and producing that god awful "tincan" sound. Started on the high e string on the 9th fret and his since worked its way up the fretboard and up the strings as well. SO I guess don't expect to last more than a year or so