DG-20S review by Fender

Fender: DG-20S

Purchased from: Steel City Guitars, Sheffield

Ok let me get this straight from the beginning. This guitar sings. It has a totally incredible sounds. When I went into the shop, I was trying out several guitars in the 200 range. I wasn't really having a lot of joy finding anything that really stood out when the shop owner suggested I try the slightly more expensive one. I thought, well there's a surpirse, guitar shop guy trying to sell me a more expensive guitar. Wehn I picked it up and gave it a quick strum, it blew me away. The difference between this guitar and its lower priced 200 mark competitors was incredible. This guitar has a rich full sound, with a nice bright top end and full mod range and bassy tone. It really sings, lots of sustain and a gorgeous tone. I tried a few Martins and an Ovation in the 500+ range for comparrisson, and this Fender was equal to a few and better than the rest. I can;t get over how great it sounded, so I bit the bullet and paid a little over my budget. Haven;t regretted it at all. My only criticism, is that if you give it a good hammering while playing it tends to sound a little boomy, but hey, its a drednaught, they all do that. Also, this thing is loud enough that you don;t have to beat crap out of it to be heard. I play mostly rock, blues, Folk, and I'm starting to get into singer/songwriter stuff. This suits all of these styles, it sounds equally as good being strummed or picked. Its a real all rounder.

I have been playing for 7 years now and have spent 7 years playing electric guitars. I decided to make the leap over to acoustic mostly because I have joined an 'unplugged' type band. Playing acoustic is a new experience for me, but of all the guitars I triend in various stores, and compared to my friends guitars, this one sounds outstanding. If this got broken or stolen, I would be heart broken, this guitar has made me fall in love with guitars and playing them all over again. It sounds corny but it has inspired me to expand my playing styles and abilites. IF it got stolen or broken, I would first kill whoever broke or stole it, then I'd go buy a new one.

It's still new, so not sure on this one. It sounds good so far, and when I jam with my friends, it stands out from the others. The build all looks and feels solid, I will be using this as my number one guitar for practice and most likely gigs too.

The finish and craftsmenship on this guitar is fantastic. Beautifully constructed, no marks, visable glue, feels pretty solid and it looks fantastic. The bridge, nut and machine heads are all of great quality, doesn;t look like any corners have been cut building this. I sometimes can;t belive what a great guitar this is for what I paid for it. The factory set up was ppretty good, I'm finding it a little difficult to play, but this is the first acoustic I have had instead of an electric in about four years. Compared to the others I tried in the shop, this one by far had the best action and set up.

20 frets, 6 string dreadnaught acoustic guitar from Fender. Solid spruce top and body, mahogany neck. Natural finish.