DG-20S review by Fender

Fender: DG-20S

Mine is a Korean made, 1999 model. It has a solid Spruce top with bracing. The sides and back are made of Mahogany and the neck is made from Nato which has a Rosewood fretboard. It has 20 frets along with the standard Fender Die Cast tuners which keep this in tune forever. It is a Dreadnought design which suits me just fine. I can't however, find any information anywhere as to what years these were made and what the retail price on them were. I got this in a trade just last week and it was the bargain of a lifetime IMO.

I made the switch from electric to acoustic, back in March after 42 years of doing so. I needed a change and was tired of dealing with the band scene. This guitar just sings like a bird as far as tone and sustain are concerned. The action on this, is nice and low although I suspect that the previous owner put in a new bridge saddle because there are no file marks on it for the strings to settle into. But I don't have a problem with that at all. This guitar sounds great and I'm sure would hold up to a Martin or a Taylor IMO.

Believe it or not, I actually traded a Squier SA-50 along with a few sets of strings for this and I know I got the better part of the deal to say the least. The only thing I noticed, was that there was no pickguard and no signs of it being messed with in that area either, which has me concerned if this is a early model that was made without one? I've seen photos of later models with one, so I now have one on order which I will put on it. There are no flaws on this although I'm not a fan of the stock plastic bridge pins which will be soon replaced with some Graph-Tech Tusq ones. Other than that, I have no problems with this baby at all.

Seeing that this one is already 15 years old and still going strong, I don't think durability will be a problem here at all. I know I can use this on a gig as the only guitar without needing any backup at all. The finish is aging a bit, but it looks just fine and adds a sort of rustic look to it which I enjoy. I know I'll be using this for many years to come. These older models from Fender are IMO, more durable than the Chinese made crap that is flooding the market today! I'm actually considering getting another one.

I have been playing now for over 42 years and I am having a blast with this guitar. Pity the fool who tries to take it from my hands, for he will be needing life insurance of the highest caliber, he will! This blows away IMO, any of Fender's Chinese made acoustic product that they have out today. I couldn't even see myself playing any other acoustic guitar than this one. As a matter of fact, I'm going to look on eBay to see if any of these are available so that I can add another one to my collection.