DG-60 Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 04/06/2015 category: Acoustic Guitars
Fender: DG-60
This guitar is definitely a great deal for either the beginner or the musician who is on a low budget. This is pretty much the same guitar as Fender's CD-60 which they're selling right now in place of these.
 9.2
 9.4
 6,731
review (1) pictures (2) 2 comments vote for this gear:
DG-60 Reviewed by: jeffo46, on april 06, 2015

Features: The Fender DG-60 acoustic guitar has 20 frets, 25.3" scale, nato neck, with sonokeling fingerboard, and the bridge is sonokeling with a compensated saddle. The finish is natural gloss polyurethane. The body starts with a Fender dreadnought style for full, balanced tonal range. It features a dual-action truss rod, black pickguard, scalloped X-bracing, dot position inlays, and a Gold silkscreened Fender logo. The tuners are your usual Fender stock Ping type and it comes strung with Fender's new Dura-Tone strings, which are their take on the more, better sounding and durable, Elixirs. Before I for get, mine is a made in Indonesia model which according to the serial number, was made in November of 2014. // 9

Sound: For a all laminate acoustic , the sound and tone on this guitar is actually quite good. The stock Fender Dura-Tone strings were pretty decent but since I started using Elixirs late last year , I took the stock ones off and restrung it with a set of those. Right away you could hear the difference. This guitar has a very nice , full and bright tone to it which I feel could be used for gigs even though it's been advertised as a beginner's instrument. It's not as loud as my Fender CD60CE which is a acoustic/electric, but this baby can produce some serious tone. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I am going to be 100 % honest here and that is, I own a Fender CD60CE in Mahogany that I got last year, which even though has a better sound, the setup on it was horrible. This guitar came with a perfect setup as far as the string height and action are concerned. Plus there are no fret ends protruding which is a huge plus for me. The only fault I could find was a slightly dead fret at the 13th position which was quickly rectified by a slight truss rod adjustment. Hell, even the stock tuners do a amazing job of keeping this baby in tune. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Even though this has been advertised as a beginners guitar, I personally feel that this is a gig worthy instrument, no matter what the tone snobs say. This is one solidly built guitar that with proper care, will last you a lifetime. The only thing that does seem to show some wear, is the pick guard which I plan to replace very soon with a tortoiseshell one anyway. Other than that, this is one fine guitar for the price. From the tuners, all the way down to the bridge saddle pins, this is one quality instrument that is worthy of the Fender name. // 9

Overall Impression: I'm 55 years old and have been playing guitar now for 43 years. This guitar is definitely a great deal for either the beginner or the musician who is on a low budget like myself. This is pretty much the same guitar as Fender's CD-60 which they're selling right now in place of these. They are not listed on Fender's web page anymore but are still available for sale at Guitar Center and it's affiliates, Musician's Friend and Music 123.com. If this were stolen would I replace it? Sure why not? This is a fun guitar for the price with a great sound to it which I highly recommend. // 10

Comments