DG-8S review by Fender

Fender: DG-8S

Purchased from: Absolut Music

At the time I bought it I was playing Traditional Country, Bluegrass, and "Midwest" Rock with a My Grandfathers '39 Gibson 000. Later when the Band decided to move into Rockabilly I had a Dean Markley pickup installed. I also added a strap button on the heal for comfort. I've played our Bass players Taylor & Gibson J200 & wouldn't trade it for either. I run it through a Peavey EFX 10 (Absolut Music again) with a touch of Doubler & 3 on the Reverb.

It's perfect for me. Aside from not being factory amplified. But then again I don't care for Piezos. I've been playing for 30 years & I've had a Yamaha, a Gibson 000, a Hofner, a Harmony (my Dads) a Strat, & a Tele. I've played Martins, 5 other Gibsons, a Taylor, Ovation, & everything in my favorite shops acoustic room. And I don't plan to ever buy anything else. OK, so if some letters on the headstock are worth a thousand bucks to you go ahead. But rest assure that I'll be telling jokes about you in between numbers at the gig Tuesday night. Oh yeah, one more thing. Almost every review I read tells what they'd do if thier guitar was lost or stolen. Well I'll tell you what I'd do. I'd call Casey and tell him to pull a DG-8S out right now, install my Dean Markley pickup, put on the EXPs with the brass pins, and I'll be there to pick it up in the morning.

Reliable & durable? You tell me. If playing rhythm in a 3 piece Rockabilly band ain't hard enough on a guitar I use Herco Heavey thumb picks and tape them on. Whacking that against Martin EXP. 012s for 2 solid hours twice a week. It ain't the guitars fault that I'm about 1/2 way thruogh the pick gaurd. But it stays in tune. We always have a backup for me (my buddys Taylor) and our lead player (he plays a G&L ASAT with an Affinity Strat for backup wich he's never needed) but they're just there for broken strings. And that's not unusual for me, but again, it aint the guitars fault. But if I had my choice of any guitar to keep as a backup, it'd be another DG-8S!

I'm still playing the factory setup. I couldn't find anything that I didn't like about the finish. The only complaint I have ever had seems to be a common one. Buzz on the low E. I know one other guy who has one of these (on my recomendation) and the other reviews here also mention it. A few months ago I installed brass bridge pins just cause I thought they looked cool & low and behold the buzz is gone.

A standard dread, made in China, with a beautiful finish. I bought it in 2003. Came with all the standard "Pac" stuff. Tuner, bag, strap, picks, strings, and a video. I gave all that to a friend as I had better stuff already, but they were all good standard beginner stuff.