DG-8S review by Fender

Fender: DG-8S

Has a very nice, and clear tone. It does have a bit of a buzz on the low E. But I find it doesent happen all the time, and its only really noticiable when you strum hard. Probably just needs a little truss rod tweak.

I went out looking for a guitar I wouldn't be afraid to smack up. Something to bring around to just break out when friends were over havin' a few beers. After looking through some used sales ads and crap like that I wasen't pleased. People wanted an arm and a leg for something not worth the gas money to go buy it. I dropped into a local music store one day to see what they had and the employee showed me this guitar. Instantly I couldnt believe the quality sound it had, it really does sound very very very good for the price you pay. Skeptical of the "value pack" guitar, I picked up a few guitars in the $400-$600 price range, and I'm not gonna lie to you like 99% of people do, these guitars sounded better, but not much, and certainly not enough to pay hundreds of dollars more for. And when it comes down to it, it's a Fender, it's gonna be a quality product, Fender didn't get thier repuation by selling people crap. I'd say, it's a great beginner guitar, and a decent Intermdiate player guitar, because it really isnt like the guitars you usally find in these packages, this thing is actually a decent guitar. And well worth the money. So if you want something you can bring around, and wont have to worry about spending alot of money or it letting you down, I'd go with this one no matter how old you are or how long you've been playing.

Seems like a rugged piece of equipment. I would say live playing wouldnt be a problem, but its more of a campfire/party/have a laugh kinda guitar I believe. It's one of those guitars you just leave around the house whenever you feel like writing or playing that riff that you have in your head.

Contrary to what many people say about this guitar, the action on mine when I got it was actually too low. I cant see how people say these guitars have an extremely high action because it was no different then the other guitars in the store. No flaws or anything like that, it was put together rather well actually. I was impressed.

Solid Spruce top, whick i thought was pretty impressive for a value pack guitar. Classic acoustic look, very nice actually, i think i'd rather the classic acoustic look then a fancy ass one. Came with a load of stuff thats pretty useful if you're a beginner, or you like to take your guitar on the run. Nice overall guitar.

veniceking
    i bought this guitar about 2 months ago now and i find that the action is perfect and there is nothing wrong with the low e string. it is an awesome guitar though.
    RUCrious
    This guitar is great, great for beginners(minus the high action), plays great, and sounds great. But I just want to know: Is the dreadknought supposed to have two strap buttons? Because mine came with one button on the bottom of the guitar, and well... That was it. I'm just wondering if my guitar is missing a strap button. If so, how can I add one onto the body of the guitar?
    Rokeman
    ^ No, it's meant to have only one, the pack comes with a little extra clip on a cord that you put on the end of the strap, to then tie around the headstock however you want. If you didn't get one of those clip things, you can just put cord or something through one end of the strap to tie it on.
    Chrismc
    I bought this in Dec 2008, I have a strap button on the top but the one on the sole is a peg style button. an slips out one in a while. Anyone have any ideas (other) than toothpicks and glue.
    Royelle_2009
    Price Paid: $99.99 My model is a DG8S-NAT and idk if it's the same one but so far this guitar is greatt!!! It's my first one and It came with a case, tuner, strap, extra strings, and everything I needed to replace anything on it. I've replaced the strings twice though and I've had it for less than a year. But I still love it! *PeaCe* Courtney
    curtbob
    Definitely a good choice for a beginner & someone who's gonna play it on a tailgate with his beer drinkin' buddies, around the campfire, your own enjoyment, etc etc. More than good enough for that. But once you slap on a pickup and so forth, you could buy a Fender 140sce. The electronics include a built in tuner plus it has a cutaway. Now, if you like the guitar enough to fix it up like you described, power to you. I'm glad you're happy with it. But if someone stole mine, I'd go with the 140sce if I bought another Fender. After, I don't think I could resist looking at a Martin, a Taylor, or a Seagull perhaps.