DG-8S review by Fender

Fender: DG-8S

I have played for 20 years and have never owned a guitar straight out of the box. Being skeptical, I put it to the test immediately! I play mostly rock and folk, and tend to play my guitars a bit rough. I have yet to experience the buzz on the low E I have read about, and it seems to stay in tune rather well! It has a nice full, crisp sound and great sustain, and though the action is a bit high, it's overall playability is great! I would recommend this instrument even to professional musicians, especially as a backup for those onstage performers that need a good sounding guitar in a pinch!

I like to rock out, so I'm not all that gentile on my guitars. I've been playing blues, Folk and rock for 20 years, mostly as a rhythm player. But playing lead on this guitar is no problem! If this guitar were lost or stolen, I would absolutely purchase another one! At the moment I own no other equipment, but over the years I've had lots of other guitars and equipment. I can't tell you how many times I've gone into a new and used instrument store, and have seen far less quality instruments for a much greater price! Sure your going to pay more for those top of the line guitars, a lot more! And there will be those whose quality is markedly better than this guitar! But you will be hard pressed to find a match in quality vs price than what this guitar offers! The only feature I wish it included is a built in pickup, just something simple. I might just install one myself. Other than that, I would say this is one of the best deals out there for a simple no frills all around good guitar! Go Fender!

Being rather hard on my guitars, this one seems well constructed! I am prone to walking around the house, unintentionally banging into furniture etc with guitars, and so far (after 2 months of daily playing) not a scratch! The hardware seems nice and solid. My only concern is how well the string pegs will hold up after a couple years, or by the 50th string change, but I'm still playing on the strings that were on it from the factory! I would certainly use this guitar for live playing, perhaps even without a backup!

Not being a luthier, the fit and finish seem perfect to me! Everything seems to be aligned correctly, nothing loose at all. I was pleased to find it came with a strap peg on the bottom, and a bolt on strap button on the top, eliminating the need to tie the strap on at the headstock.

I received the guitar pack as a gift, what a great gift! Assembled in China, this 20 fret, solid spruce top dreadnought with a rosewood fretboard and maple body has a beautiful clear lacquer finish, I think. It came with a gig bag, tuner, tuning head, strap, truss rod adjuster, an extra bridge with shims, extra pegs, and an instructional dvd. Great package!