DG-8S review by Fender

Fender: DG-8S

Purchased from: Craigslist

Made in China...I was nervous at first but the guitar sounded great. I do understand some previous users' complaints on the low E, but I can live with it for the price. I'm planning to upgrade once I get better and use this for as a backup or for travel. I'm playing mostly pop/rock songs that I'm learning from youtube and it works fine.

Great guitar for beginners and also a guitar that intermediate and advanced players won't complain about. I definitely could tell that this wasn't a $500 guitar but it honestly was able to hold its own. If you are looking for a reliable guitar for a decent price or if you are looking to buy a first guitar and want all the accessories needed to get started, this is your guitar.

I don't plan on live playing. The strap buttons and the bridges are made of plastic. The bridges seem to hold the tune fine. I don't care much for the strap buttons since I play sitting down. Overall, the hardware seems like it will last, no loose parts or rattles.

Action was good and low. My buddy who is more experienced than me said it was pretty fast. I even played a few other guitars at the Guitar Center and noticed that my action was much better. That's about all I can comment on other wise. Everything else from the build to the finish seemed fine and in good shape.

Purchased this off craiglist but it was clear that the girl who I bought if off had clearly given up on guitar and had bought the Fender package. Came with gig bag (nothing to brag about but fine for casual and careful transportation, some picks, electronic tuner (works fine though I've used better), a strap (which is still in the packaging) and a spare set of strings. I don't think it comes with a capo though so I bought one. I also picked up a hardcase for $25 at a local pawnshop since I'm taking it on the plane.