Duane Peters Sonoran SCE 61 review by Fender

• Users' score: 1 (1 vote)
Fender: Duane Peters Sonoran SCE 61

Purchased from: Kendall Guitars

I mainly play punk and it's very rare that I use an acoustic however I wanted to have something I could depend upon should I need one. So far so good, I've plugged it straight into a PA and through a Fender Acoustasonic (I think) in a shop. Everything sounds pleasant and acousticly as it should! Very rich tone but doesn't get too bassy or bright. It's one of those rare breeds that just sounds "right".

As stated earlier I play alot of punk music and this fits perfectly. Those of you familiar with Duane Peters will have heard his band U.S. Bombs. I've been playing 5 years now and own several electric guitars, Marshall Vintage Modern combo and a decent selection of pedals so figured it was time to get a nice acoustic. This was a special order item so wasn't compared to anything else however I think it's almost identical to other Sonoran models. I would've liked to get a gigbag at least with it but they aren't ridiculously expensive so it's not the end of the world.

Although I haven't gigged it yet I'm confident that it would stand up to live use without a backup. All the hardware seems solid, no tuning issues and the strap buttons seem like they'll do the job nicely. Like most guitars these days the finish will last for a while which is just aswell, only 500 worldwide so it wouldn't be easy to replace!

Factory set-up was really good. Action was spot on, not as low as an electric but not too high that you snap your wrists trying to fret a note. Everything looked perfect except where the neck and body joined where there was a slight build up of finish. Also a slight scuff mark on the fretboard but nothing really noticeable.

Made in China in 2012 this is a limited edition Artist Signature acoustic. - 20 frets with a 25.3" scale. - Maple neck with rosewood fretboard and a strat shaped headstock. - Solid spruce top with laminated mahogany back ands sides. - The finish is a custom graphic designed by Duane Peters with a really distinctive checkerboard headstock. - Single cutaway dreadnought body. - Fender Viking Rosewood bridge with a bone compensated saddle. - Fishman ISYS III system with active on-board pre-amp and tuner. - Controls are volume, bass, mid, treble and a low battery indicator light. - Non-locking Fender tuners. - This didn't come with any accessories.