GDC-200SCE review by Fender

Fender: GDC-200SCE

Purchased from: Fender

As a quite ambiguous player, I needed a guitar that could be played as a clean sounding acoustic, both amplified and not, and the GDC-200SCE definitely delivers that. I've just about pushed its limits as far as being able to play a bit of 'Slipknot' with it, so it's a very versatile guitar, in terms of genre's. However, when it comes to playing solo songs, which could sound thin on other acoustics, this guitar really stands out. Unplugged, it has a very hearty sound, and is sufficient to be used alone in some of the smaller gigs I've done. There is nothing I've encountered that cannot be played on this guitar. Plus, the cut-away design makes soloing much easier than on full bodied guitars, and in no way does is jeopardize the sound.

As I said, I am a very versatile player, with almost anything being my genre of choice, and the guitar can certainly keep up with my changes of mood and playing. When I got it, I had been playing for about a year, so my playing has improved incredibly since then, and the guitar has presented no difficulties for either a beginner as I was when I first got it, or as the player I am now. If I lost this guitar, I would be heartbroken, and would not even consider buying a different guitar. For acoustics, I'm a Fender man all the way, and this attitude was only confirmed through having tested various others, and this one came out top, hands down.

Its definitely a guitar made for playing live, but I've only pushed its boundaries as far as some 'get cape. wear cape. fly' and some other acoustic songs, so I haven't explored it's full range. However, when it's been played through a Marshall stack, there was no problem with the sound. However, there was an excessive amount of feedback, but was easily solved with a feedbackbuster. One other problem I found though, is that it only had one strap button, which made me wary, as I don't like to attach the strap to the headstock. But that's a personal qualm, which would still not put me off buying a guitar.

There was only one real problem that I encountered when I got the guitar, and that was that the action had to be adjusted slightly as it was a tad too high for my liking, and that involved manually filing down the plastic bridge. This however was not an arduous task, and after about 10 minutes of fine tuning the bridge I was ready to play. No flaws and no problems with either the electronics, or the guitar itself, since its purchase in 2006.

When I first bought this guitar, I was just starting to play guitar, and so I wasn't looking for an expensive acoustic, and nor was I looking for a guitar that would last me for longer than a few years. However, after 3 years, I am still amazed than not only it still plays as if new, it keeps surprising me with it's versatility. The rosewood fingerboard is a delight to play on, and the cutaway shape means that it is far easier to solo on this guitar, than other full bodied guitars. However, the sound is not compromised through it's shape, and it's electronics mean that it also sounds good played through almost any amplifier. It has an integrated Fender/Fishman Classic 4T Pickup System with active on-board pre-amp which features: integrated electronic tuner with on/off switch, volume, bass, mid, treble and body (mid-sweep). When I bought the guitar, I didn't get any extra's, as I went for the cheapest possible.

slashisagod95
    i'm thinking of buying this guitar and you've just made up my mind. and about having to tie the strap you can by strap buttons for very little on a website called thomann.