JG12CE-12 review by Fender

• Reviewer's score: 5.6 Decent
Fender: JG12CE-12

Purchased from: Weston Super Mare, Somerset.

OK, it's an acoustic Fender - I wish I knew then what I know now. As the basic guitar it wasn't very good and when I bought it I knew it was shop soiled. I foolishly went for the name not realising that Fender would allow such a poor guitar to use their name. However, Tom Waghorn of Bristol (BR1stOL, UK) has modified it and it now plays VERY much better than before.

You can look the guitar up on the internet. This particular guitar was manufactured in Korea but I don't know when. It has a fairly fat neck on a Dreadnought body with a Venetian cut-away.

• Finish: Satin, (Polyurethane)
  • Top: Laminated Spruce
  • Bracing: X Bracing
  • Back and Sides: Laminated Premium Mahogany
  • Neck: Nato
  • Fingerboard: Rosewood
  • No. of Frets: 20
  • Bridge: Rosewood with Compensated Saddle
  • Machine Heads: Chrome, (Die-Cast)
  • Electronics: Fishman Aero Pickup System with Active On-Board Pre-Amp; Integrated Electronic Tuner with On/Off Switch; Low Battery Indicator Light
  • Controls: Volume, Bass, Mid, Treble, Phase,
  • Scale Length: 25.3" (643mm)
  • Body Depth: 3.58" (Front), 4.17" (Rear)
  • Width at Nut: 1.89" (48mm)
  • Width at Heel: 2.24" (57mm)
  • Unique Features: Dot Position Inlays, Black Fretboard Binding
  • Strings: Fender 60-12L Phosphor Bronze
  • Gauges: .010 to .048.

I'm an old, bold folkie. Previously I had an EKO Ranger 12. Unfortunately this guitar became damaged in my travels and so I sold it on to buy this Fender. However, knowing what I know now I would have bought something else. I do like the size and the sound, it is smaller but louder than the EKO although I find the neck not as easy as the EKO. I don't use any additional effects with my set-up as I don't feel it necessary - what happens when you are performing in a field with no electrics - you'd be buggered then - so I don't use anything extra.

My experience of Fender support was CRAP! So I went to a luthier in Bristol (Tom Waghorn) who took pity on my stupidity and for a very reasonable price made it MUCH better action and sound. I would NEVER buy another Fender acoustic as long as my arse points downwards! It is a middle of the road guitar. Fundamentally it isn't too bad but could be very much better for the money. It's hard to put one's finger on any one aspect which spoils the guitar - other than the electrics which are not up to standard.

It is probably the worst buy of my life and I will replace it as soon as I have the money. In answer to the questions above: not for long - the electrics are poorly manufactured and need constant attention. At the moment the battery is held in with pieced of cardboard to ensure the terminals make a good contact. I noticed this week that the strap buttons are not as solid as I feel they ought to be. But, knowing this I will keep an eye on the situation. Could be better. Yes, the finish is good.

I'm an old, bold folky and this guitar, now that it has been modified, is good for me. I've been playing for 50 years nearly but I am not very good and I could have achieved MUCH more with better application. I play this through a Carlsbro acoustic amplifier which has very good reproduction. I was conned when I bought this guitar but by the time I went back (a few weeks) the company had closed and disappeared off the face of the earth! Having spoken harshly about this guitar - I have grown to love it. If I could I would love it to have a neck similar to the old EKO Ranger that I sold to buy this one. If it were stolen I fear the thief would probably return it to me - I wouldn't buy another one. My favourite feature is the size and weight. MUCH lighter and smaller than the EKO. There are MANY similar model guitars on the market for similar price. Lindo Guitars are bringing a new 12 string model out early next year which I have been invited to trial. Watch this space!