Kingman SCE Jumbo review by Fender

Fender: Kingman SCE Jumbo

Purchased from: Chicago Music Store, Tucson AZ

I recently bought a Fender Kingman SCE Jumbo. It is a 2015 model and a three tone sunburst guitar with a gold three layer pickup guard. It is a jumbo acoustic with Fishman electronic string tuner, preamp, volume and tone controls. It is a solid spruce top with a maple neck, rosewood fretboard with pearloid inlays, much like the Fender Stratocaster. It does have a cutaway and comes with old-style Fender Tuners. It only has twenty frets.

I play a lot of blues as well as acoustic rock covers of Van Halen, Three Doors Down, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam. This guitar has a really nice full body sound. When I play at the coffee shop I play without an amp. When I play larger venues I play through a Princeton Chorus amplifier.

This guitar has a very nice feel to it. The action is loose, which I like for my heavy blues stuff. It has a bone nut and bone bridge with allows it to keep a tune pretty well. The sound is nice and deep and the highs sound good as well. It has some buzz on the low e string at the second and third fret. The guitar is well put together when compared to my Ibanez performance.

I have played three gigs with this guitar. No problems with the electronics or tuners. Strings also held up well. I probably have played about 60 hrs through it and the strings still sound good. So far the finish still looks great and requires very little up keep besides the usual cleaning. Seems to be a very dependable guitar.

This guitar is very nice for the bluesy styles of acoustic music. The action is pretty decent right out of the box. I haven't felt the need to file down the nut or rework the bridge. I have learned to deal with the little buzz from the low e on the hard and heavy power chords. I have been playing guitar since 1988 and although I do not consider myself an expert, I know the feel of a quality guitar. If you love the feel of a Fender Strat, you will love the Fender SCE Jumbo. If I ever lost this guitar, I would buy another one to replace it. I believe it to be a very good value. And it is by far, the best looking acoustic guitar that I own. I receive many comments about the look and sound of this guitar.