PM-1 Deluxe Dreadnought review by Fender

• Users' score: 9 (1 vote)
Fender: PM-1 Deluxe Dreadnought

Purchased from: 4 Sound

This dreadnought is has solid East Indian rosewood back and sides and a grade-A sitka spruce top, mahogany neck with ebony fingerboard. The inlays in the fingerboard are beautifully done and really looks great, in my opinion. Checkerboard purfling and rosette. Sun set burst high gloss finish body, the neck is high gloss as well. Bone nut and saddle. 20 frets on the neck. Fishman custom made electronics with a built in tuner. There is a volume, treble and base control. It comes with a hard case and tools including a humidifier.

The original strings, Fender Dura-Tone Coated 80/20 Bronze (.012-.052 Gauge), didn't sound that great but after changing them to Elexirs (.012-.053 Gauge) the sound is perfect. The sound is full and works really well for both strumming and finger style playing. I use it with my Marshall AS50D acoustic amplifier and they work great together. Fishman seams to have done a good job shielding the amplifier cause it doesn't pick up any electrical interference where my Tailer guitar "humms" a bit. The built in Fishman tuner makes sure your always in tune.

This is where we have the problems, my first Paramount had a damaged case. So I had to have the case changed. Then the build in amplifier wouldn't stop draining the battery. So after three month of sending the guitar and case back and forth to Fender I finally received a brand new guitar. The electronics in this one works great and the case is just the way it's supposed to be. But when I changed the strings I noticed that one of the pins was damaged from the factory. Fit and finish on the wooden parts are great though, but you'd expect more from a brand like Fender, when it comes to overall quality.

I have only owned the guitar for a couple of month, but so far I'm really please with it. The electronics are working great with my marshal amplifier and I would definitely use it to play on stage with it. The tuners are open and looks really well made, I don't have any problems with them. The strap buttons are placed on the body with extra wood on the inside to make them more ridged. A nice detail in my opinion. The finish is well done and the high gloss is of course extra sensitive to scratches, but then you would be aware of that when you buy a high gloss guitar.

I love the way this guitar looks! All the details are beautiful and it sounds really great in my ears. I'm playing folk music and for that it's just great. I have been playing a couple of years and compare it to other low end Taylor guitars that I have played. The amount of guitar you get for the price is absolutely superb! I think that it's a great guitar for the money and I would recommend a friend to look into one if they where in the market for a new guitar. However I wish Fender had a better quality control, cause my first guitar was a mess. My second is great, though!