Sonoran SCE review by Fender

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Fender: Sonoran SCE

Made in china Fender Sonoran from the California series. 20 frets, cutaway, Dreadnought body, built in tuner, and an amazing and unique look. I got mine in Lake Placid blue and I just love the colour. The headstock is the classic fender design. Maple neck, rosewood fretboard. 4 knobs: volume, bass, treble and middle. From Fender website: Fender Stratocaster Headstock Shape, Matching Painted Headstock, Fender Tight Dreadnought Body Shape, Dual Action Truss Rod, "Viking" Fender Bridge, Factory Mounted Forward Strap Button with Internal Block Reinforcement, White Dot Inlays, Checkerboard Rosette, Vintage "C" Shaped Neck, Multiple Body Bindings, Bone Nut and Saddle.

I mostly play it unplugged, and use it for practicing new songs. It has a very bright clean tone, like Fenders tend to have. I put some electric guitar strings on it, for low action because I also use it for practicing the songs I want to play on my electric guitars. I have heard it with acoustic strings too, and I'm impressed with the sound considering the price. I play everything from John Mayer to Queens Of The Stone Age. The guitar itself is good for playing blues and pop/rock music but can play most acoustic stuff.

The strings that was on it when I got it was very poor and really ruined its great sound, but I knew that a new set of strings would make it amazing. The neck is very smooth and comfortable, and gives you a lot of freedom. The tuners on mine are incredibly reliable. Only con is that the body seem a little weak because of the wood used. The guitar was set up well from where I got it, and I did not have to change anything. It seems though that the higher strings tends to die faster than the lower strings.

I have played live with it a couple of times without problems. It stays in tune, and has a good tone. If you turn the volume knob all the way up, it will start to make noise but it is not necessary. The finish seems to be as good as new, and the only place where it wore of was caused by me, when I tried to change a string. I am no acoustic expert but my taste in music keeps getting wider, and the acoustic music I know can easily be played on this beautiful guitar. I heard the Fishmann system was good and for me there has been no problems if the volume knob is kept at a reasonable level. The last gig I played with it was in a bar with a stage for about 150-200 people. 5 people I didn't know came and complimented me and my band on the sound, and our playing.

I am really happy with this guitar, and even though I have treated it very poorly there are almost no sign of use. I have been playing 5 years and it is my first and only acoustic. I have a LTD Viper 200-Fm and a Fender Strat 97 USA. The neck is so comfortable and the guitar has great playablity for an instrument worth 360$. For some players the sound may be a little to thin and clear, but that varies from player to player. It is a great beginner acoustic. I have never been a big fan of fenders cheaper guitars, especially not the Fender Squiers who I always found uncomfortable playing. Even though this is an acoustic it allows you to play very fast and allows you to add fills and licks instead of just strumming C-Chords all day.

NiceTypes
    I've had my Sonoran now for a month or two and am very happy. I do live gigs with my band every week or two and was concerned that feedback would be an issue (as it has been with elec/acoustics I have previously used). I bought a generic soundhole cover (feedback buster) after making my purchase but had to modify it on the fretboard side as Fender extends its fretboard somewhat. Last gig I played I didn't use the cover and had no feedback issues! Pleasant surprise. Couple of questions for guitar players that use their Sonoran with a band like I do: Is there something in the design of this guitar that minimises feedback issues? Secondly, I don't think Fender makes a custom soundhole cover but if anyone knows otherwise, can you let me know?
    pete.heatherwic
    The phase control is the main control for feedback control. I recorded yesterday and used both a diaphragm microphone and the Fishman Pickup! i mixed the 2 together and they complement each other well. More control with the Fishman Pickup and little feed back even close to the file back. Full satisfying sound. I love the thin neck and have always prefered the start headstock due to the strings being straight and all pegs to the top out of harms way when on a strap. 5 Stars to fender on brightening up the options of quality Acoustic guitar without the huge price tag. The Dao is stunning timber and construction is quality.
    pete.heatherwic