Telecoustic review by Fender

Fender: Telecoustic

Purchased from: Sound Control

I play electric mainly but on my acoustic I mainly play stuff with a lot of picking but also most other styles as well. Also, although it's an acoustic, the Telecoustic can handle some rocky stuff as well, shove it into drop-d and crank up the bass control and you'll be impressed! I'm using it with a HH Electronics 100w twin-speakered amp, I don't know the proper name. I've occasionally used an old Yamaha chorus pedal and very seldom a Marshall Jackhammer distortion pedal. Both actually sounded pretty darn good. At my first gig (beofre I got an electric) I played this Telecoustic through a Trace Elliot amp with built in distortion and it sounded awesome. Unplugged: the sound isn't quite as good as most acoustics, simply because the body is SO thin but plugged in it is awesome.

I play most styles of music, and this fits most of them (but don't even try shredding). I've been playing for about a year and a quarter now, I own a Boss ME-50 pedal, my HH 100w amp, an EKO acoustic and a Washburn electric. Along with a couple of single effects pedals. If this guitar were stolen/lost I would not buy another one, I would save up for a little whole and get a Takamine. I love the fact that it is so light but I hate the fact that it flops over due to that neck being heavier than the body. I didn't compare this to other products to be honest, I was a new player when I bought it and I was going for looks rather than quality.

This guitar can withstand live playing as I've already stated although I don't know how long it will last as it does feel a little on the badly-put-together side of things. The strap buttons, as already mentioned, were dodgy at first but a little bit of superglue did the job. I would use it on a gig without a backup cos I only ever do about 2 acoustic tracks per gig so I don't really need to worry.

The action when I bought it was very tight and so I stopped using it until I got it loosened a bit. Another problem I had was that the top strap button (up by the base of the neck) fell off so had to be superglued back on as there is nothing inside the guitar to screw into, the screw is simply straight into a thin piece of fiberglass. Also, the body - because it's made of fiberglass - is almost weightless so the guitar always flops forward as the neck is so much heavier. This is quite awkward for playing with. Aside from this, everything's sweet!

21 frets with a thin neck, obviously is based on the Fender Telecaster elctric guitar so that should give some impression of what it's like. Body, neck, tuners and everything else style is modelled on the Telecaster. Fishman Classic 4 electronics with Volume, Bass, Mid, Treble and Brilliance controls. Came with a Fender gig-bag, that's it really.