AG-600 Review

7.3
 3,232
review (1) pictures (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
AG-600 Reviewed by: nguyen7244, on december 16, 2008

Features: Made in China but year is unknown. Has 21 jumbo frets, rosewood fretboard. The neck is made of nato and has a really nice feel to it. This guitar is a normal dreadnought guitar with no cutaway. It has a solid spruce top and mahogany side and back. The finishing is transparent, so you can see that grain in the wood. It has a turtle shell pickguard, uses Groover tuners, and has abalone inlays around sound hole and fretboard markers. The inside of the guitar has Griffiths active top brace, which makes the body sturdier and "improves the sound". // 9

Sound: I improvise a lot, so I don't really have an exact style. I just play what I wanna play. It can range from finger picking classical music to today's acoustic songs. This guitar has a really nice rich clear sound. I personally think that it isn't as loud as the "brighter" guitars, but it's a really good guitar for "private" performance. I never tried recording with it yet, since I'm still a beginner. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar set-up is very very nice. The strings lay very close to the frets and is easy to press down. The guitar stays in tune for a while, which is no suprise because they are using Grover tuners. The only complaint is that the guitar's plastic parts are really fragile. I've had a piece of my guitar's nut broke off and also my bridge pins snap off when trying to change strings. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I believe this guitar would withstand Live playing, as long as you don't smash it or anything like that. The hardware is pretty durable (except for some plastic parts mention above), but besides that I think it would last. Only comes with a strap button on the bottom but it's quite sturdy. I think the finish is pretty good because even tho I had this guitar for 2 years, I've dropped it on hard surface so many times but it only has a few tiny marks/scratches on it. // 8

Overall Impression: I'm a beginner guitarist, so I don't exactly have a "style" yet. I've played for about 2 years, and this was my first guitar. My other guitar is an electric Yamaha w/ a small 10W Gibson amp. If this guitar was stolen, I would be really pissed off and try to find the same guitar again. It's one of those "unfamed/unknown" brands and now it's harder to find since Gibson has bought out this company. What I love about this guitar is the sound and how easy it is to play this guitar. The thing I hate about it is the plastic parts made for it and it doesn't have a cutaway (but that doesn't really affect me that much). When I was looking for a guitar running around the 200s, I tried out Fenders, Takamines, Yamaha, etc. and I've found out that although it isn't as loud as the other guitars, it has a "richer" sound that makes it stand out from the rest. So for the price range, I would say this guitar was my favorite. P.S. I tried not to rate this guitar a 10 because it isn't a "perfect" guitar, but then again it's not a bad guitar either. // 9

Comments