GJ-10 Gypsy Jazz Guitar Review

manufacturer: Gitane Cigano Series date: 12/09/2011 category: Acoustic Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Gitane Cigano Series: GJ-10 Gypsy Jazz Guitar
 3.1
 6.2
 2,793
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
GJ-10 Gypsy Jazz Guitar Reviewed by: drfeelgreat, on december 09, 2011

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: Not sure what year this guitar was made but it sounds great! It sports a Solid Sitka Spruce top, which gives the guitar a sturdy, yet satisfying bounce. It's great at giving the whole chunky chord thing but can be difficult to pull off any harmonic dabbling. There's a matching Asian Rosewood that fit the back and sides. As well as, a smooth cutaway that makes way for the "shred notes" lol. Though, gypsy guitars are known to be budgeted for the excited jazz enthusiasts; I feel as though there are better acoustics in this price range. I do admit to having a bit of an affection for quirky things... // 6

Sound: I like to consider myself a jazz fusion player, though some of you may knock me down for the sudden interest in virtuoso: Guthrie Govan. I also play some Folk (Donovan - Codine). Basically, I've used this guitar among my 10 others to find certain phrasing ideas. I wouldn't be able to bend on it as well as David Gilmour like on Wish You Were Here. This guitar gives me a different flavor and works great for fooling around with "gypsy" jazz chords. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Surprisingly the guitar was set up quite well from the distrubutor. I virtually have no complaints on how the guitar functions as far as making a sound goes. I have no problems with the tuners. Unfortunately, I can't really go out and get the intestine wound strings like how real gypsies do it, but I like to pretend, you know? // 7

Reliability & Durability: The guitar seems to be more of a beater. It'd be quite reliable for making a ruckus. Likewise, it would be cool for jammin out with your favorite hippie friend. Would I smash it? Yeah! I try to take care of my geets so I really hope this acoustic can last as long as it can. // 6

Overall Impression: I mess around with a lot different genre's. Though it's kind of silly to classify the music I play. As for what the guitar was intended for, I think it does well off on the whole gypsy jazz schtick. I wouldn't care if I lost this at a music festival or anything. // 5

Comments