G3100 Hawaiian Review

manufacturer: Gretsch date: 10/29/2015 category: Acoustic Guitars
Gretsch: G3100 Hawaiian
This guitar is really noisy, great projection and sweet rich tone! It's just a pleasure to sit and play it.
 8.3
 8.6
review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
G3100 Hawaiian Reviewed by: fierce_brake, on october 29, 2015

Purchased from: bought used

Features:

• Made in Korea in 2003
  • 20 frets, 25.3" scale length, small jumbo/flat top body.
  • Solid Sitka Spruce
  • Mahogany back and sides, maple neck, rosewood fretboard
  • Hawaiian style rosewood pin bridged
  • Gloss Urethane finish
  • No electronics
  • Allen wrench to adjust truss rod and spare strap thumb-screw included
In my particular case, I prefer big bodies in order to increase the chances to get a more deep and rich sound; well, this Gretsch just delivers wonderfully with its small jumbo body, the sound is so deep and crisp it's a pleasure to play it. // 8

Sound: I am still learning, but use both strumming and fingerpicking, and this baby sounds awesome on either. This guitar is REALLY noisy, great projection and sweet rich tone! It's just a pleasure to sit and play it. I do enjoy depth on the sound and well defined notes along with a big nice punch on the play! The projection/volume is so nice in this guitar! The jumbo body along with some 0.013 D'Addario strings deliver so well on depth that I just love to play it; forget about practicing, I just love to play it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action comes a bit high from factory, but its still good. I did a little adjustment on the (bone) saddle, and it plays great. Only complaint is that the pickguard tends to vibrate when strumming on certain high notes. To be completely honest, the lower bout is a bit bulky due to the small jumbo size body, so, you may take a bit to get used to it, but the sound you get in pay of the body, well deserves it. The guitar comes with a bone saddle, which obviously is a little bit harder to sand, but you get the sound transfer benefit from such material. The bridge pins are ok, but for my personal satisfaction ill just get some wooden ones. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar most definitely feels sturdy and well made, it will withstand live playing with no issues at all. All hardware is premium. Strap button has a big head which is great to prevent your strap from getting loose. I would definitely use it without backup. The finish looks and feels lasting. Tuner pegs and pickguard holders are gold plated (I think the screws are gold plated as well), so as you can presume, the guitar is built for durability and lasting performance. Only thing that may disturb your playing is some buzzing from the pickguard when hitting some low pitch notes. // 9

Overall Impression: I prefer handpicking and this guitar does really well at that. I have been playing for 6 months, and I own a Fender and a Rollins. Yeah! I would buy this guitar again if stolen/broken/burnt, etc etc etc. I do love the rich tone of the guitar, only thing that bothers me a little is the pickguard. I compared this guitar to a Fender CD-60CE All Mahogany... abysmal difference in sound.

Some features you may be interested on:

• Neo-classical "thumbnail" inlay position markers
  • Bound fingerboard
  • multiple body binding
  • dark tortoise shell pickguard with aged white binding
  • aged B/W/B rosette