D-25 review by Guild

Guild: D-25

Like I said, thanks to the bowled out back of the guitar you can truly FEEL the sound. The guitar has no electronics but because of the resonance, when miced, it can really fill up a room and thus makes for a great live guitar.

I play all types of Acoustic music from blues, rock, gospel with all kinds of techniques from regular strumming to fingerpicking, slapping, and even percussion on the body and I get a warm, resonant and filling sound out this guitar no matter I throw at it. I have been playing for about ten years and was given this guitar around eleven years ago when I was six. My dad has an Ovation and and a number of Taylors that I have full access to but I only choose to play my Guild D25. If this guitar were stolen, I wouldn't settle for a replacement. I would hunt dow whoever stole and get mine back because it has so thoroughly proven itself to me. My overall favorite feature on the guitar is the bowled neck because it gives that extra amplification. In a nutshell you could hand me a $10,000 Martin and I would just put it down to go play my Guild.

For me, this guitar has proven its reliability and its durability. The finish has survived kids, dogs, and constant moving. The neck still hasn't bowed for as long as I've owned it. Again the glue wore off at the strap-pins but this is not major and does not affect the sound. I would and have used this guitar live without a backup because of my confidence in its durability. I have been able to rely on this guitar in the past and I am certain that I will be able to rely on it well into the future.

The set-up is great. Everything is properly assembled with hand made qualit and other than the strap-pin, I have had absolutely no problem with any component of the guitar.

My model was manufactured in 1983, and during this period of time, Guild chose to bowl the back of these guitars to increase amplification and when you play it you can really feel a deep resonance that is a result of that. The guitar is all Mahogany (I am 99.9% sure) with 20 medium sized frets on a rosewood fingerboard. The is finished in a beautiful deep red that you don't see that often on guitars anymore. If you are looking for price, I have seen similar guitars on ebay for 400-600 US dollars. My only problem is that, over the years, the glue holding in the bass bout strap-pin wore out but this is ok for me as I prefer to play sitting down.

bubemar
    I absolutely Agree with you I bought mine from Sam Goodys in Monmouth Mall New Jersey in 1977 I paid $250.00 for it D25ch Serial 15505 with the bowed back. And a guild Hard Case its been 33 Years and went thru 4 kids and gets played almost every single day no kidding, the lower frets show wear but that allsome sound never goes away. 2 Months ago I put a Seymor Dunckan pick up for it and bought a Acoustic Amp and I was blown a away I never new it could get any better, played others and nothing compares to it. I also owned a 12 string electric Ovation my sons bought me nice guitar I love it but doesnt compare to the GUILD D25 CH. Its priceless!!!!!
    bubemar
    I absolutely Agree with you I bought mine from Sam Goodys in Monmouth Mall New Jersey in 1977 my girl friend was with me and now wife for 28 yrs, I paid $250.00 for it D25ch Serial 15505 with the bowed back. And a guild Hard Case its been 33 Years and went thru 4 kids and gets played almost every single day no kidding, the lower frets show wear but that allsome sound never goes away. 2 Months ago I bought a Seymor Dunckan pick up for it and bought a Acoustic Amp and I was blown a away I never new it could get any better, played others and nothing compares to it. I also owned a 12 string electric Ovation my sons bought me nice guitar I love it but doesnt compare to the GUILD D25 CH. Its priceless!!!!!
    DaniArrow
    I just got this one, I agree, it's one of the best guitars in this price range and it could even take a Martin or Taylor or Gibson on! I like it better than the Martin D15 which I've also tried.
    2ndratehack
    My D25 is an all black bowled-back 1980 model that I've played daily since 1993 when I inherited it in pristine condition. To call it awesome is to belittle it's quality & sound. EVERYTHING has been played on this guitar, from bluegrass to western to Gospel to blues to rock to metal, and it all sounds incredible. I've played some very nice, and very expensive, guitars over the years, and I'd line my Guild up beside them anyday. Nowadays most of the finish is worn from the beautiful mahogany neck and I've got cardboard from the packaging of my D'addarios serving as the G peg (hole is "stretched out" - no replacement pins fit), but if my house were burning, I'd run back in to grab this guitar.
    the61dude
    Anyone been through a D25 neck reset yet?
    Mactitan
    No neck rest needed. These old Guilds are built like Sherman tanks, heavy and solid, they don't need much pampering. My d25 is over 30 years old, the fretboard is still as straight as a die, it can take a real low action setup without buzz and able to stay in tune for weeks on end. The tone is top class, rings like a bell with almost endless sustain, seems to improve each year, especially with a set of D'Addario EXP26's. If you are able to find one from the 80's, built in Westerly R.I. snap it up, you won't be sorry.
    arliebrandt
    I just got a D25 to restore and keep. I cannot wait to play it. I will put a bone nut, saddle, new fingerboard, sand it down and refinish it to original color. I will remove the pickguard and the bridge also. I do have to remove the neck because the glue has let loose. but cannot wait to hear it when I am done.. I think it was built between1981-1992 serial no# 133571 If anyone knows the date of this guitar, I sure would appreciate it.
    DaveBStLouis
    Mine was new in 1974 when my brother bought it, but eventually I ended up with it. I always thought of this as a light-weight guitar compared to some Gibson and Martin "clunkers." Over the years, I've tweaked the neck, filed down the underside of the bridge, replaced the nut (with bone), and installed a permanent pick-up in the sound hole. I just love the 'ole thing, and play it nearly every day. I mostly finger pick (my favorites are Doc Watson and John Renbourn) and play blues and cool jazz hot licks or leads. I don't think I've ever heard better low and mid-range on any other acoustic, even though I've played lots of them. I also have a wonderful Takamine EAN-15C which I've tweaked some and love. The Tak's cedar top gives a different type of sound than the Guild, but the action and feel are really quite similar.