D-46 Review

manufacturer: Guild date: 03/16/2009 category: Acoustic Guitars
Guild: D-46
The guitar was made in 1985 at the Westerly, R.I. Guild factory. The guitar is a Dreadnaught style with ash back and sides, spruce top, gloss finish.
 8.9
 9.8
 2,220
review (1) pictures (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
D-46 Reviewed by: dandhjohn, on march 16, 2009

Features: I purchased this guitar new from Guitar Center in Santa Ana, CA in 1985 to play at my brother's wedding. I tried several different guitars at the store, but was drawn to this one, partially due to the beautiful wood it was made from, but then the sound. The guitar was made in 1985 at the Westerly, R.I. Guild factory. The guitar is a Dreadnaught style with ash back and sides, spruce top, gloss finish, Rosewood fingerboard with simple dot markings, and a mahogany center strip on the back of the neck, blackface headstock with the Guild logo and mother-of-pearl inlay. Simple off white binding with a triple ring inlay around the sound hole, black bridge and pick guard. The guitar came in a Guild hard shell factory case. Width at nut: 1 11/16" Body width: 15 3/4" Depth: 5" Scale Length: 25 5/8" // 9

Sound: It has a real nice bottom end to it, good mid range and enough highs to do acoustic lead work. The sound is well balanced across the spectrum. I use Martin Marquis medium gauge strings on it. I use a Dean Markley Pickup when I play Live as it picks up the true sound of the guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The neck plays extremely well. About the same width as my Gibson ES-330, the neck is a little thinner and plays like a dream. Easy to play bar chords on, the neck has never needed adjustment. The action is as good as the day I purchased it. Intonation across the fret board has been great with no issues of buzz or fret wear, even though I've played it constantly. The golden color of the back with the white binding sets it aside from the standard guitars with darker sides. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I played weekly in a church praise band with it for several years. I've also used it at weddings and other social gatherings, both for fun and profit and had no problems at all with it. The guitar has aged well, with only a few nicks in the finish from use. I still have the warranty card that I never sent in. I've never had to call Guild's customer support. Their website is complete when it comes to this guitar as my serial number is later than any they show being produced. I know of one other D46 with a serial number 10 greater than mine so I think their website needs an update. // 10

Overall Impression: I like this guitar better than a lot of other acoustic guitars I've tried, including Martins and Taylors. My friends I played with at the time I purchased this guitar had Guild D40's and G50's. I felt my D46 stood right up to theirs and in most cases, out shined their guitars. // 10

Comments