DV-52 review by Guild

Guild: DV-52

Purchased from: Consignment from local store

The sound is as complete as a dreadnought can be in my opinion. It has a big fat bottom end, great highs and is awesome for flat or finger picking. I play anything from Robert Johnson style blues to rock and country. I prefer a smaller bodied guitar like the M20 Guild (which I also own) for the old-timey blues, but it will do it all and do it all with plenty of volume. I do not have any "buzz" anywhere and the action is quite easy. I generally do not put a mic on this guitar. If I am playing with a group, I can easily overpower the sound of smaller guitars and often other dreadnoughts. This Baby is made to be played, but also made to be heard!

Like other guitar players, I have owned a few and played many. This Guild DV-52 is one of the best dreadnought guitars I have played IMO, even when comparing it to older high dollar Gibsons, Martins and Taylors. I also love the D-55 with all of it's beautiful appointments, but overall, this one is beautifully simple with limited aesthetic additions. I like a little less flash, if you like more, maybe consider a Vintage D-55. Also, due to it's rarity, it is fun to show other players. If you can find one, they are a great buy since they continue to be undervalued in general. I paid just $1000 for a nearly perfect example. I wouldn't trade it for a $5000 Martin.

This is as tough a guitar as you can find. It has a nice weight to it, a little heavy compared to most acoustics I pick up, but that is one of the things I like about this guitar. You feel like you have something special and well built in your hands when you play it. This guitar projects a huge sound. I often play with folks that have a pick-up on their guitar and have no problems keeping up unless we are in a large room. Of all the guitars I have owned, if I had to only own one, this would be it. It is solid enough to take what ever you throw at it I am sure, but it makes you want to be careful with it. So for dragging to the campground, I would take another so you don't hurt this one.

I am not sure if the guitar has ever had a set up other than factory. The action is perfect and my particular guitar has no issues. It has been very well cared for without so much as a nick or ding, just some pick marks on the guard. The neck is straight. It has a beautiful but simple Abalone Rosette. It has the Herringbone zipper on the back, all the expected scalloped bracing etc that you would expect from a high end acoustic. Gold Grovers are nice as well but don't seem to hold a tune for more than a day or two. I think that may be due to age but worth mentioning. It is also worth mentioning that I put in several hours of playing each day, often with this guitar, that also could be part of it.

Built in the mid-90's, pre-Fender, RI built in the USA. Dreadnought design with solid Spruce top and solid Rosewood back and sides. The bridge is Ebony along with the fret board and a Mahogany neck. I have the natural finish model and no electronics. The width at the nut is 1 11/16". It also has gold Grover tuners. The 9 rating in this section is only due to the old tuners needing adjustment every couple days of playing, your experience might be different. It has 20 frets and is of course attached at the 14th.

bdron
    I have one too, and would agree with everything written here. It is quite simply my favourite guitar ever, and so underrated that it should cost a lot more. Shhhh!!!
    relayer1
    I confess I'm a Guild nerd too.  Great guitar for the money.  And Guilds are built really solid.  I have a lot of quality guitars, but my Guild F-150 jumbo is my favorite instrument these days.  It sounds amazing, like the Gibson j-200 you hear Greg Lake and Pete Townsend play.  You should hear it in a concrete stairwell! Just the right natural echo.
    brian.oustad
    I also agree wholeheartedly. Far and away the best playing, best sounding acoustic I have ever played.
    DavidM2112
    I have a Guild DV52 with the satin finish. The guitar is 100% original as is the OHSC. I am the second owner. The original owner had it for ~ a year. I was saving up for a Martin HD-28, which cost $2,199.00 at the time. I went to GC to check out some HD-28's when I noticed the Guild DV52. I played the Guild side by side with the Martin and found that the Guild was just as good if not better sounding. My luthier knows the original owner and recognized the Guild right away as the spruce top has a unique grain pattern. I still love Martin's and think they are the best acoustic guitars ever made. I paid $850.00 for my Guild DV52 and it is my baby. I absolutely love this guitar as does anyone who plays it. If you can find one I strongly suggest you buy it.
    relayer1
    You said in one sentence that you thought the Guild DV52 was as good or better sounding than the Martin HD-28, then in the next proclaimed Martin the best acoustic guitars ever made.  I'm a big Guild fan, too, and own 3 of them.  They seem to never go out of tune, no matter how hard I play them.  I only tune them when they are in a colder room.  Personally, I think Avalon and Larrivee blow Martin away, but in the US, I know that won't be a popular opinion.  And Ron Ferguson, who used to run Gibson, is head of production at Guild now.  I think Guild is basically a better company and a better deal than Gibson.
    DavidM2112
    Hi relayer1, Yes, I did say that C.F. Martin & Co. makes the BEST acoustic guitars. I got lucky and just so happened to find this Guild DV52 which did sound as good or better than the Martin HD-28's that were on the wall at Guitar Center. To be clear & concise I believe that C.F. Martin & Co. do make the BEST acoustic guitars. Guilds are very good guitars but like I said "I got lucky" when I found that particular Guild DV52. It's a "stand out" Guild. Not all Guilds sound as good as the one I have. I have seen so many Recording Artists playing Martins, Neil Young comes to mind, and they sound absolutely stellar.
    strat-O-matic92
    Guild's are amazing well-built guitars. This guitar IMO is that best sounding guitar I've ever heard. Been saving for one for awhile.