HL44 review by Herald

• Reviewer's score: 5.4 Decent
Herald: HL44

Purchased from: Roadhouse Music Store

I don't use it often to be honest, I play mostly classic rock and metal so I only use it for the occaasional song such as "Hero of War" by Rise Against or "Through Glass" by Stone Sour. I do occasionaly use it for bits of songs like the intro to "Paradise City" purely because it sounds good. And that's just it, this guitar sounds great. It didn't used but ever since I put a hole in the body where I was intending to put a strap button it sounds awesome.

It's the only acoustic guitar I own but I have played others and a big difference is that this guitar is very light compared to other normal acoustics. If it were stolen then I would find the guy Who did, take it back and lock him in a room with another man in a pac-man costume until he went insane, oh yeah. The best bit is that it sounds cool. I just wish that I cold plug it into my amp.

It probably would withstand a live concert if you just sat down with it, it's not electric though so you'd need a microphone to play Live. No strap buttons. The finish hasn't worn off at all, apart from a few scratches. I don't think that the scatches are to do with the finish though I think that the scatches are more related to the softness of the wood.

Pretty good factory setup I have to say. I didn't even have to tune it, the strings are great, not one of them has snapped in 5 years of hard playing. Nothing on it has broken in 5 years. There is a mosaic style ring around the sound hole. It's really hard to describe and I can't get pics on here. The pic is from the internet, mine is just a natural wood colour, if you really want photos though then I can send some to you.

I have no information as far as the year and place it was made go. It features a smooth laminated top. I have no idea about the woods that are used. It seems to chip quite easily though so it's obviously some kind of softwood. The body is a Dreadnought as you can see. No electronics on it of any sort. No idea abut the brand of tuners. Came with a case that has lasted for 5 years. Included a set of unbranded free strings and a learn to play VHS.

Newmackem
    I've just bought a Herald HL44 in a junk shop in Devon for 15.00. It needs new strings and a clean but the sound is excellent and the action seems OK. I normally play an Ibanez AE410 and have been looking for a guitar to do some finger-picking.