HL44 review by Herald

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Herald: HL44

Purchased from: Argos

I intended to learn classical guitar on it, but never got round to doing so. The nylon strings provide a warm tone which are pleasing to the ear. Sometimes, I like to grab a pick and play the Acoustic guitar part in "Master Of Puppets" and it fits it so well. Great sound for a 50 guitar.

At the time, I wanted to learn classical and this guitar definitely suited it. I've been playing for over 4 years and I also own an Ibanez RG120, a Stagg L320, a cheap Gear4Music Electric-ST and a Roland Cube 15X. The woods on most of these electric guitars are more durable, so I'm not that impressed with the HL44. If this guitar was stolen, I would maybe buy a higher quality classical guitar that is more durable. The durability and the factory set-up was the weak points of this guitar, but sound and value for money make up for it.

I think this guitar could withstand live playing without a backup. I've had it for 4 years and it hasn't broken. The wood in the body does feel fragile. Over the years, lots of chips in the wood have appeared. The finish hasn't worn away though [not including where the wood has chipped off], so I am sitting on the fence for durablity.

For a classical guitar, I find the action to be just right - no strig buzz. Unfortunately, the intonation was out a bit and I still haven't corrected it, even though I've had this guitar for 4 years. As this is a beginner guitar, adjusting the intonation would be a very difficult and demanding task.

I got this cheap guitar for my birthday in 2007. It has 21 frets and a laminated top. Since I cannot find any specifications for the guitar online, I would assume that this guitar is made of cheap woods [probably spruce]. This guitar was made in 2006 and has no cutaway. This guitar also came with an unknown brand set of spare strings and a tuition DVD.