HL44 review by Herald

• Reviewer's score: 4.8 Poor
Herald: HL44

Purchased from: eBay

It has a very nice deep tone to it, sounds very nice when playing Spanish or flamenco stuff, the sound is also quite loud. It sounds too mucky for playing rock. No fret buzz when I bought it and still almost none even after I lowered the action. Unfortunately the intonation is quite poor and it sounds out of tune if, for example playing with a capo the 7th fret and playing open chords and high notes sound fairly dull.

To be honest its more than I expected for the money and has a nice deep sound. I wouldn't really recommend it for a beginner though as its not very playable and you'd probably get bored and give up so I'd recommend spending a little more money and buying something that will last you longer. Its a nice bit of fun though for playing in the garden or at a picnic and you wont be worrying if you dent or lose it.

The guitar is easily dented probably down to the cheap materials used but you wouldn't really expect much better for the price. There are no strap buttons which is a real let down. It would probably last you a good couple of years though if you stayed with it.

When I bought this guitar the action was way too high and playability was an issue as well. I lowered the action by filing the saddle and nut but it still feels a little too high for my liking. Playability is still an issue when playing barre chords and such.

Bought this guitar off ebay a couple of months ago to try and get into some classical and Spanish playing. Came with nylon strings. Not much I can say on materials as I can't find out what its made of anywhere on the web but they seem very cheap. It has like a vinyl pattern on the top around the sound hole which looks nice. The bridge, saddle tuning pegs are all plastic. No fret markers on the fingerboard but there are some on the side of the neck. It looks nice but feels cheap.