HW200 review by Hohner

Hohner: HW200

Purchased from: World of Music in Erie, Pa

The Hohner HW200 really helped me get into acoustic guitar playing. Prior to my purchase of the product, I was strictly an electric player. This guitar, however, offered me a full, rich sound that produced bright and open notes and chords that an electric could not produce. If you have seen bands like Phish on stage, who are typically acoustic, then you are familiar with what a rich hardwood reverb tone on the open stage should sound like. My only dislike was the 18 fret limitation. However, this guitar was sold at a good price and is great for those of you just getting into the acoustic scene or just learning guitar. I had alot of success with this guitar when playing songs off of Nirvana's Live In New York album. Because it is not an acoustic/electric the user may want to consider a different guitar for live, on-stage playing. In short, this product is simple yet effective.

I began as an electric guitar player who was into punk rock when I was youger. Then I matured a bit and got really into Jimi Hendrix's style of playing and BB King. Now, I play some mainstream stuff just for kicks but I am more serious about jazz and some blues. Though I learned how to play guitar on an electric, I think I would have been better off learning with the HW200 acoustic because of its great tone quality. I have a better ear for tuning nowadays, but when I began with an electric I was always a little off. This acoustic guitar is perfect for those who want to enter the wonderful world of guitar playing. I taught myself to play guitar, but I have, over the years, spoken with guitar teachers who thought I should have bought a product like this one back when I was a beginner. Eventually, when I needed an acoustic to take with me to college, I bought this and was very impressed. It was pretty nice for a descent price. This is a good stepping stone guitar on the road to more mature guitar playing.

The fretboard may wear slightly after a couple of years if you play all the time like myself. There is only one strap button at the bottom which means you will have to tie one end of the strap behind the first fret. But don't let that bother you because this product comes with the strap and the lace. A 5-year old could figure it out. Overall, the finish will last for a good while and the guitar will be able to sustain quite a bit of rough-housing or neglect that a younger beginner player might instill upon it. I have also found that this guitar will stay pretty much in tune even if you toss it around a bit.

The guitar was very well put together from what I can see. The pickups are in alignment and so far I have not had to perform any maitenence on it.

The Hohner HW200 six-string acoustic offers proffesional grade tone for a reasonalble price. This particular model has only 18 frets, making it perfect for beginners. The neck, sides, and bottom are made from a dark mahogany while the top is made of a natural-colored, solid spruce. Hohner HW200 also includes a hardwood fingerboard and an adjustable tension rod.