HW200 review by Hohner

• Reviewer's score: 5.6 Decent
Hohner: HW200

Purchased from: hobner store, kolkata

the steel strings have a nice effect. It is best for playing rhythm and blues. After I had fixed a pickup I was initially using a cube Stranger 20 watt amp, but later I moved on to 40 watt. the sound(without an amp) is hollow and very deep. The guitar in the hands of an expert is very versatile but in the hands of a novice, it is very noisy.

It was my first guitar and it proved to be a wonderful companian. I have been playing it for 5 years and I learnt tough riffs and leads on it. Apart from it I own an Epiphone les paul. I wish I had saved a bit more and bought a Takamine but still I should have asked for a better bridge. I love the hollow and deep sound it produces without an amp, but the most irritating thing is that it tends to get out of tune very frequently. My fav feature is the tough truss rod, it never got a hard touch for all those years. I didn't have the chance to compare it with other products, I got it immidiately. The most important thing which was missing was the pick-up.

Frankly, the guitar was never meant for gigs. its a basic guitar meant for beginners. the hardware was a tad bit off-balance. The strap buttons were solid and are likely to stay in position. If someone want to do a gig, it is advisable to have a back-up or make it a back-up.the finish did last for long, but eventually it started to wear off.

the action is beautiful, best for singing at home. The guitar was tough but eventually the satin finish was scratched. The external pick-ups where a bit shaky. The bridge position was very good. The only flaws I notices was that after a few weeks, the turning pegs became very loose.

My model is the Hobner h-265. Its a f-hole guitar, was made in kolkata in the year 2002. It has got 22 standard frets, a thin neck, maple with rosewood fretboard. Solid top. The body is made of ashwood, with a satin fnish(although a flamed finish is optional). it is a cutaway body, very comfortable when the guitarist is sitting, but very uncomfy when you're gonna stand up and do gigs, because it is almost 4 inches thick. it is a normal fixed bridged guitar. there is no intenal pickup. the tuners are non locking. all in all its a very simple guitar and very good for begginers.