HW200 review by Hohner

Hohner: HW200

Purchased from: Garage sale, but it originally came from World of Music in Erie, PA.

The tone is surprisingly good for such a cheap guitar. A nice rich sound. I've compared it with my friend Adam's guitar, and with a thousand dollar Taylor. It blew my friend's guitar out of the water (But that is not saying much) and held up nicely to the Taylor (Though, I can't say it was equal). Two complaints: The trebles never sound spot on, always just close. Second, there's only one strap button. You have to tie the strap to the headstock, just above the nut. You'll figure it out.

I play a diverse style of music. A smattering of punk, some Beatles and pretty much everything in between. Really, the only styles of music this couldn't match is when you need an electric guitar. I've been playing for nearly one and a half years. This was my first guitar. If it were stolen, I'd probably try to get it back. One thing I HATE is there's only access to twelve of the eighteen frets. I wish it had a cut-away. I did not pick this guitar, it was a gift. But it's perfect for a beginner.

The original owner took good care of it, and obviously didn't use it much. It's stood up pretty well to my year and a half of abuse, including dropping it numerous times, knocking it against things, and it being kicked. The only damage that's been done to it is some chipping of the finish around the edges, and the strap button broke in half. Nothing to cry about.

It's never been adjusted, other than a string change or two. There are no flaws mentionable. Apparently I need a bunch more characters then what was in my first sentence, so I'll tell you about turtles. Turtles are wonderful reptiles, and I'm sure they would pick this guitar. It'd suit their needs well.

Eighteen medium sized frets, not entirely sure of woods are finishes. I've been told what it was, but I have a few doubts. No electronics, just a basic acoustic. Relatively small size, good for beginners. I give it a five in this area because I don't know much about it (I bought it second hand), and I don't know much about Acoustic guitars.