HW300 review by Hohner

Hohner: HW300

Purchased from: Saratoga Guitar

I play mostly classical rock to metal (more classical on this guitar) and the guitar couldnt be more suited for it. The Nubone adds a great resonant tone to the guitar. Overall soundwise this guitar is a great beginner to intermediate guitar, It happens to be my second and I've been playing for about 2 years.

This guitar is a great match for my classical rock playing and I would definately recommend it to any beginner or someone looking for their second acoustic. If I lost this guitar I would definately buy it again. Overall the features are wonderful and you can't beat the price.

I do believe this guitar would withstand Live playing, at the moment I have yet to perform Live, but during practices with my band it holds up without a problem. The hardware thusfar have proven itself nicely and does not show any signs of breakage or extreme wear. The only problem I have with the guitar is that it has only one strap button on the bottom of the body (I don't like having to tie my strap above the nut) and the button is made of plastic. Both problems are easily fixable with a screwriver, a drill, a small bit and steady hands.

When I got the guitar it was pretty much perfect. I got the transparent black finish, there were no factory flaws in the finish what'soever. The strings that came on it were D'addario players choice and they were somewhat oxidized so I changed them to Dean Markley blue steel strings and they've been perfect. The action was one of the lowest I've seen on a guitar with this low of a price. The neck was also a suprise because it didn't have a thick neck, it was very slim like an electric guitar. Overall a great fit and finish

This is a Hohner HW300 dreadnought acoutstic guitar. It is constucted with a mahogany back and sides as well as a select mahogany solid top. The neck is also made of mahogany with a 20 fret rosewood fretboard. It also has a feature rarely seen on lower model acoustics, the nut and saddle are made of Nubone, which from what I have read about it man made ivory that adds to the overall tone of the guitar. It also has a pinless bridge system which allows you to replace strings without having to worry about bridge pins.

Blue_River
    I was also an owner of Hohner HW300G TBK(transparent black) guitar, made in Germany. It was my second guitar. I got it from secondhand so maybe this was a problem. At the beginning the guitar was quite good and all though I had to clean it pretty thoroughly the first day I got it after it was not used by it's previous user for a while. The tuning was pretty okay, but with time allot of problems started. 1.) the neck wasn't really straight since the beginning, 2.) guitar developed some problems with the octaves, 3.) tuning became really loose through time and I had to change the pegs. 4.) low E sounded pretty bad. 5.) Had to change the strings right away. The original sounded like crap. Other than this it was a great guitar, but I wouldn't recommend it for more advanced players, maybe, but only if they wish to upgrade this or that. But I recommend it for beginners. If I was a beginner I'd buy it again. It was good for all kinds of music. But as i'm not, I was glad to lend it to a good friend of mine. A plus to this guitar is that it withstands enormous amount of damage without being damaged. I would gig with it and I even did. It seems really unbreakable.
    Phatz Menasha
    I am the first owner of a HW350 I purchased on E-bay. I love this guitar, it's a great acquisition in every way. I have no negative criticism in any part of this guitar. I play Blues, rock n' Roll, Country and my own finger-style compositions on this guitar. I play it 3-4 times per week. I can't believe the quality, fit and finish. This thing stays in-tune the best of the guitars I own- beautiful in every way.
    djohnston623
    I picked up this HW 300 at a yard sale for $20 and I bought it because the action was low, no vibration on any string on any fret, thin neck, light wieght, and it just felt really comfortable. I had to replace the strings but that was expected... this is a very nice acoustic guitar. Plays well, good sound, easy action... not like those nylon classical guitars with the strings an inch above the fret board....