Firefly Review

2,798
review (1) pictures (2) 1 comment vote for this gear:
Firefly Reviewed by: SilverSpurs616, on april 19, 2011

Purchased from: Cranes Music Cardiff

Features: This guitar is a 2010 model from Welsh Company Hudson, sold by Cranes Music in Cardiff. I have heard that they are made abroad but no idea where. It features 20 medium frets on a rosewood fretboard with a generous cutaway. It has a solid Cedar top with contrasting (yet highly complimentary) dark flamed African mahogany laminate back and sides- one of the things I like most about this guitar. It also has flamed maple binding around the neck and body, with abalone position markers in the side of the neck. To sweeten the deal, the flamed mahogany finish also covers the headstock which has beautiful gold-finish tuners and intricate logo. Furthermore it features a bone nut and saddle. It comes with on-board B-band A3T pre-amp and tuner. I don't know the brand or model of the pickup. This guitar came with a free fitted locking hard-case and new set of Elixir strings, nice! // 9

Sound: I can't say I have any particular style when it comes to acoustic, I'm more of the electric player with Paul Gilbert-esque songs, but I do enjoy picking one up for a hearty strum from time to time! I like to use this for heavily-strummed open chords and it sounds rich and full when doing so. This came strung with Elixir 12's, so a little too heavy for my liking at first but I stuck with them for the tone and volume. Plugged-in it has a satisfactory sound which can easily be tweaked via the pre-amp which is simple to use and nicely responsive. I often find myself having to roll back the treble, though. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this guitar direct from the store, and my only complaint with the the setup was that the strings were old and felt poor to play- I always restring new guitars once I get them home, anyway, and they gave me a free set of strings. It has moderate action, not low enough for me to play a blistering solo (but why would you want to on this guitar?) but high enough for the fretting of chords to feel satisfying. I can't say much about the pickup because as far as I know Acoustic pickups aren't meant for adjust-ability in the way of electric guitars, but as mentioned this can sound a little too trebly when plugged in so perhaps the pickup is a little slanted. Can't say for definite though! I have yet to notice a single flaw in the looks department- this is a beautiful guitar to behold. The different woods, the binding and the hardware all compliment each other nicely and the African mahogany sides look stunning in the sunlight. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had chance to use this live but I see no reason why it wouldn't do well- it feels solidly constructed and I have yet to notice any flaws with it. I've used it at home and in university and it has survived being passed back and forth between excitable students with no problems. I would feel confident using this live! The finish has shown no signs of deterioration or damage after 7 months of use, and I believe it will last far longer! // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is a good match for me- it is lightweight yet durable, has a full, rich tone and is ideal for my "randomly pick up and play" habit. I've been playing Acoustic for 4 years and electric for 3, and admittedly I prefer electric but I still enjoy strumming along to music or passing the guitar around with some friends for a jam and sing. I asked a lot of questions before buying this guitar, as well as checking for reviews and so I felt confident this was the guitar for me. This is my second Acoustic guitar (the first was an earlier Hudson model) and I feel this was a great upgrade. If this were stolen or lost, I would certainly buy another without hesitation! I love the sound and how comfortable it is, but my favourite features are actually the looks- that flamed mahogany is simply gorgeous! I tried out a number of other guitars that handled simularly or had the same features, but the looks settled it for me. After all, it never hurts to look good while you play! // 9

Comments