AC35CE review by Ibanez

Ibanez: AC35CE

Purchased from: Craigslist

I play a wide variety of Acoustic styles, from Old Clapton to Dave Matthews. I play with a lot of finger picking (I.e. Classical Gas) which this guitar is superb for. However, I also play with a lot of fast picking and heavy strumming (Neon by Dave) which this guitar sounds incredible on. The biggest problem I had with Guild, Taylor, Takamine, and Gibson was that their acoustic-electric guitars had a very tinny sound. They ceased to sound like acoustic guitars and sounded like some bastard hybrid between a steel guitar and a hollowbody. the guitar had a deep, warm tone. Incredibly full and rich. I've been experimenting with it on an effects peddle on my tube amp and it comes out pretty sweet. It's the first acoustic electric I've been able to experiment with like that without it sounding terrible.

Overall, this guitar is an absolute steal! I know I got it for a discounted price, but at Guitar center it's only $350. I would easily pay twice that for this guitar. I've been playing for a few years, play at bars two or three times a week, so I've got a lot of experience. Before I buy a guitar, I do my research. This nice little Ibanez is the best guitar purchase I've ever made. If it were lost, stolen, or if I pulled a Pete Townshend and crushed the sucker, I'd go out and buy another in a heartbeat. It lacks nothing, performs better than guitars that cost five times as much as it does, and hugs back (just don't get too friendly on the first date).

This guitar seems really durable. I'm not going to try banging it around a bit to verify that though. The onboard electronics are really incredible. They sound amazing and I've had no problem with them at all. I've gigged with it three times so far (just got a little while ago) and It plays incredibly. I brought a backup (because only an idiot wouldn't) but I had no need of it. The strap buttons hold crazy tight. All of the hardware is die cast, so it'll last. Overall, it's one of the best Live guitars I've ever played with.

I got this secondhand, so I'm not sure how it was set up at the factory. The guy I bought it from didn't know much about guitars, so I'm pretty sure I got it with factory settings though. The action is perfect! I tried lowering it just to see how close to an electric feel I could get and I found that the factory already had the strings as close to the frets as they could get without causing buzzing. The wood is superb, pickup is incredible too! It sounds the exact same wired as it does unplugged. It's the first guitar I've had that I'm comfortable playing Live with plugged in (I've miced all of my others). The only problem that I found with it is that the tuning pegs are loose when the guitar is unstrung. They seem to be a little small for the holes (insert sexual pun here). But when the guitar is strung, there's no problem, and, as I've already said, it holds a tune really well.

This guitar was an absolute steal! It has a solid Cedar top with mahogany sides and back (looks Gorgeous). Maple binding for the sides and back. The Abalone dot inlays in an ebony fretboard are integrated seamlessly. It has gold die cast tuners with beautiful pearloid knobs. B band Under the saddle pickup and Ibanez SRTn Preamp with an accurate onboard tuner. It includes knobs for volume, bass, treble, tone and pitch. Another really nice feature is that the guitar has both 1/4" and XLR outputs. This guitar's got features on it that many $1500 Taylors and Guilds lack.