AEF30E review by Ibanez

Ibanez: AEF30E

Purchased from: Sam Ash

As far as acoustic song selection goes, I play a lot of songs that emphasize chord strumming, like Bob Dylan, Beatles, etc. But I know all the classic acoustic songs as well, such as Aqualung or Behind Blue Eyes. The guitar has a very resonant tone, which works well with all those songs. It is a somewhat unique tone too, which may or may not suit everyone. I've tried the guitar with two different types of strings and I get the same tone, so it is the guitar. It's hard to describe, but it is very bright and has a tin-like resonance to it. This sound is subtle of course, but it makes the guitar sound so much more unique and overall better in my opinion. A layman would definitely not notice the difference. The only reason this section doesn't get a 10 is because the treble tends to stand out over the bass and middle setting. If you turn it down further than the others though, it sounds great plugged in. Good sustain, too.

In summation, I would recommend this guitar to anyone looking for a quality acoustic-electric guitar for a great price. It is listed at $800, which is about what I'd say it's worth. I got mine for about $550, which is a great deal. If it were stolen or lost, I would buy it again in a heartbeat. It looks so much better than any acoustic out there. it's tone is normal, yet unique. You will not be disappointed if you buy this guitar.

I've had the guitar for a year and it is practically the same guitar that I started out with. This is a very quality instrument, very durable. My only complaint is the die-cast gold tuners. For whatever reason, the tuners get these annoying spots on them that are hard to rub out. I never see them on the strap hardware, which suggests that it has something to do with human oil. Either way, it rubs off so no big deal.

I played the guitar before and after a setup at Sam Ash. The action before the setup was good, considering the facts that it is an acoustic and that it wasn't set up yet. After the setup, the action was noticibly better than before. So after setup, the action is relatively amazing. The finish is extremely aesthetically pleasing, and the high gloss coating has stayed shiny for the year that I've had this guitar. The strings that it came with were horrible, but that has nothing to do with the guitar.

The AEF30EVV has many aesthetically pleasing features. It has an albalone rosette and all 21 frets have albalone inlay. The bridge and fretboard are both rosewood. The neck is mahogany, and the sides, back, and top are all flamed maple. The guitar has die-cast gold hardware. It comes in one color, "Vintage violin high gloss finish." So everything is here aesthetically, it's a great looking guitar. As for electronics, they are simple but high-quality. The B-Band UST (undersaddle transducer) pickup has a standard bass-middle-treble range and sounds great. The phase button limits the feedback quite well, but I never really find the need to use it. Apparently, the notch filter does about the same thing, and I find it superfluous. The onboard tuner is very handy too. Really though, the guitar looks and sounds amazing.