AEG8E review by Ibanez

Ibanez: AEG8E

Price paid: A$ 600

Purchased from: Music Mania

Before this guitar the only other steel string I had every heard live was my dads Martin dreadnought (amazing guitar). For the sound of my acoustics I have always used his Martin as a basis of what I want my acoustics to sound like. Compared to the Martin the Ibanez has a very trebley tone with lots of highs and mids. Tone does lacks a lot of bass which almost makes it sound a bit dull. When the guitar is plugged in (I only ever played it through the jack input) it has a very crisp bright tone and the bass can be pushed up using the EQ.

I play blues, classical, jazz and a range of other stuff on this guitar and its good for most of it, just that one problem with the tone sounding really dull and bass-less. I own many other guitars, mostly electrics, but this remains my only steel string guitar as I am happy with how it plays and don't mind the sound too much. If I lost this or it got stolen I would probably get a different guitar that sounded a bit better and probably wouldn't get an electric acoustic. Thanks for reading. Feel free to comment, rate and ask questions!

I would play this live, the batteries last for ages, unless you leave the tuner on of course. Finish and wood are real good and take quite a beating before they get damaged. The tuning pegs hold the tuning real well, the only string that really goes out is the G string. The strap buttons are real solid and I have never needed to tighten them.

The factory set up on the guitar was reasonably good. The finish is real nice and looks real good with the binding, so no problems with that. However the action was quite bad and I had to get the bridge piece sanded down, which can be a bit of a mission. The only problem I have with the finish (if it can be considered that) is that the nut has become discoloured.

I Brought this years ago as my second ever guitar when I started to play a lot more. I can't remember the exact year I brought it but it was around 2008-2009 so it will have be made sometime around then as well. - Made in China - 21 frets - Ibanez SPT Preamp - Ibanez SPT preamp with 3-band tone control with shape control and a built-in tuner. - Balanced XLR & 1/4" Outputs - Powered by AA batteries - AEG Body shape - Mahogany Neck - Rosewood Bridge & Fretboard - Pickup: Ibanez Under Saddle Pickup - Tuning Machine: Chrome Ibanez Smooth Tuner (non locking) - Nut & Saddles: Ibanez Ivorex II - Bridge Pins: Ibanez Advantage Bridge Pins - Strap Button: Ibanez Strap Button for Acoustic Guitars I really like the features on this guitar, especially the cutaway on the AEG, it makes it very easy to play the higher frets which can sometimes be a challenge on acoustics. I also like the pre-amp on this guitar as I like the control of your sound with the tone and shape controls, built in tuner is also very useful.

Islandeer
    Is this year thing so important? Does one has to have a log to qualify for posting? Come on! I understand mocking if someone can't count the frets, or doesn't know what the guitar is made of, but making a fuss about purchase date is so childish.
    carcass255
    'I can't remember the exact year I brought it but it was around 2008-2009 so it will have be made sometime around then as well.' wut?
    PrimitiveGuitar
    I'm sorry kids but if you want to mock my review for the sole fact that it is inaccurate, I brought this guitar years ago, I don't remember what year I brought it, couldn't find my receipt for it so I have no way of telling what year I brought it, also I was never told the year it was made, plus that stuff didn't seem important to me when I brought it as it was one of my first guitars
    Clervaux
    I actually liked this review. Was thinking of buying one but had my doubts, especially the sound. Not gonna buy it. Thanks for the honesty reviewer!