AEL10 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 10/06/2010 category: Acoustic Guitars
Ibanez: AEL10
If massive projection is what you're looking for, the AEL-10 model can turn up the volume without even plugging in. The AEL body is the largest of the Ibanez AE acoustic-electric guitars, making it a great choice for un-amplified performance situations.
 Features: 9.5
 8.4
 8.9
 7.9
 4,529
reviews (2) pictures (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
AEL10 Reviewed by: Diablo52, on march 06, 2009

Features: First off this is a Acoustic-Electric guitar.I bought it in 2007. Has 22 or 24 frets I can't remember I'm not going to go get it. it's a Fender scale length guitar. The back and sides are made of Mahogany. The top is spruce. The pick up is a Fishman sonicore. The electronics it has are Ibanez AEQ-SST Shape Shifter, Preamp with Onboard Tuner. Bridged and fretboard are rosewood. And comes with my favorite D'Addario EXP Strings! // 10

Sound: It's a preety good guitar now grant it there are plenty that are better but also there are planty that are worse I can play any thing from BB King and Chuck Berry. To Country. To classic rock almost any type of music you want. Except like metal cause seriously when have you seen Metallica jam out on a acoustic? Now when I put it through an amp it's awesome now with my amp it suck because I got a cheap one from walmart(I was desparate) but I put it throun my buddys sound s great and you can really get into it between the EQ on your amp and guitar you can precisely get the sound you want(maybe not exact for rock lets remember it's an acoustic not a strat) but sound wise very versatile // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar is awesome it's not like my buddies where the strings are so far from the frets it cuts into you just trying to fret them but there not so close that even when you fret them perfectly you get buzz it has ferfect balnance easy to fret without putting a lot of stress on fingers. The finish on the guitar was great I got the black one the binding was perfect too. The only complaint I have is that the volume knob on the guitar works but only if the volume is turned all the way up if know then you wont hear anything out your amp which is ok for me except that since that volume knob ia all the way up on my amp if I turn the volume 2 like 3 or 4 then it pounds my ear drums // 7

Reliability & Durability: Very durable this thing(not because of me) has been knocked hit dropped banged and has kept perfect tone and no signs at all that it's been banged up looks the same as when I got it. And the buttons for your strap are pretty solid they aint goin know where. // 10

Overall Impression: I Prefer Blues and Classic Rock but I'll play any thing and this guitar can do what I want it to do. I like the sound it has for blues and classic rock the best (I was playing bad company last night. Sounded just like the guitar on the album). I've been playin for just over a year. And if I ever broke it or lost it I would get it again but if I had the money I would get something better. // 9

AEL10 Reviewed by: Dee Ay, on october 06, 2010

Price paid: C$ 500

Purchased from: Arden's Music

Features: This guitar is an Acoustic-Electric guitar that I got in 2009. The guitar has 22 frets, and the sound quality is good even when playing in the higher fretted notes. The guitar is mahogany for the most part with a spruce top. The tuning heads are good but not great seeing as I always have a hard time tuning my B string, but that's the only one I have problems with (the tuning head just feels lose on that one I feel). The guitar came with a built in electronics from Ibanez and it has it's own tuner built in as well, but I found myself tuning with my normal tuner again after a while, the onboard tuner is not fantastic by any degree. The built in electronics are power by 2 AA batteries that can last the electronics for quite a while before swapping out. The fretboard is rosewood and I can not remember the strings that came on it since I always swap out for nanoweb elixer strings anyway. // 9

Sound: The guitar is good for most music styles. I don't play a whole lot of different styles but for the R&B, Soft Rock, and Rhythm stuff I do play it does quite well...(to be honest I bought the guitar because I searched and found out it is the guitar from Chris Brown's "With You" music video) I don't plug it into my amp too often because I don't really play in places that I need to amp up in but when I do have it plugged into my 15 watt Crate Acoustic amp, it does sound ok. I haven't be able to find that great "as close to an authentic acoustic" sound set up yet, but it's get the job done. I think it's more the amp than the guitar that causes that problem. The sound is rich and bright I've found through my amp, but sometimes it can be tinny, but as I said, my amp isn't great as well. The guitar once again can sound very diverse and compliment many music styles well. It's great for it's price point. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up very well and I had no problems when I got it. My guitar teacher adjusted a few things he thought could improve the overall sound and comfortability in playing it, but overall I didn't notice too much difference. The pickups were fine, I've had no problem with them. The guitar had no flaws when I got it, its been banged about accidentally a few times, detached from my strap and hit the floor on occasion, but everything stays in good condition throughout these slight mishaps. I have my guitar in black and it's a great looking cutaway guitar to boot, so I'm happy with it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would withstand live playing. For me, seeing as I don't really play live, I can't speak from experience, but the guitar is built well enough that I believe it would be great live and stay in tune most of the time. The hardware for me has lasted very well, quality has stayed the same but as I mentioned before the strap falls of the guitar strap button on occasion and that can be annoying which is why I sit down when I play most of the time. For someone who will be walking with the guitar around their neck and moving a lot in a live performance, then maybe this guitar would not be the greatest for them. The finish has lasted and everything is fine on that end. The strap button really is the only fault, but it can be a big one for some players. // 8

Overall Impression: For 500 dollars I can't really complain about what I got here. It served as a good replacement Acoustic for my first 200 dollar guitar and as of now, I feel no need to upgrade again on the Acoustic side of my guitar playing. If I had this guitar stolen from me or lost, I would most likely buy it again maybe not immediately, but maybe again after I buy a few more guitars. I do like the look of the guitar, the sound, and the feel of the instrument is great for me. So with that said, I'd recommend this to a lot of people for a guitar in this price range. // 9

Comments