AW100 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: AW100

I play a lot of the acoustic Zeppelin stuff and classic rock in general. This acoustic suits my styles very well; of course I would assume being an acoustic it would suit most acoustic styles of music. It really seems to sound great when I finger pick and works well, but it seems to get a bit messy with the heavier strumming of chords. The guitar also seems to have a "jumbo acoustic" like sound which my guitar teacher pointed out and I too seem to notice, though this may just be a matter of personal opinion.

I was playing guitar for a little over a year when I bought this, was and still is my first acoustic after two electric guitars and I don't see myself getting another acoustic guitar anytime soon. This covers all the musical genres I play and sounds good with those styles. Not much more to say really, definitely a great guitar for the price and something worth trying in the store if you're interested. After buying I did play one or two Yamaha acoustics, which were great and the strings were nice to pick and play unlike the Ibanez acoustic guitar, which was good so I suggest checking those out as well. However other than the stiffer strings I love the Ibanez and wouldn't own any other acoustic at the moment. Great tone, great looks, great feel and a pretty good price.

I won't lie after almost a year, this guitar hit quite a few walls and corners and one time completely fell over. However it's still in good solid condition and I haven't found a noticeable scratch. As I've said before feels solid and at this point I'd feel quite comfortable gigging with this.

Action is great love the feel of the fretboard; the guy at the store just wiped the strings a bit and sold me the guitar (nothing else if I recall). However even from my guitar teachers opinion it seemed fine with the factory set up. So no adjustments were needed. The only issue is that I find the strings on the body to be a little too "tight/stiff", so you need to pick harder to get some sound out of the guitar. This is the only drawback to the guitar, but the tone more than makes up and I can play it just fine.

From Harmony Central specs it has a solid engelmann spruce top with scalloped bracing along with mahogany ply back and sides. The guitar has 20 frets and an abalone rosette, as well as binding around the guitar and neck. It also has gold Grover tuners and standard dot inlays on the neck. Came in a natural glossy finish and plays very well. I like the neck and overall build of the guitar. It definitely looks as nice as it plays.

jwhop3
    I bought my AW100 is a shop in Springfield, Mo in 1996, and I've been playing her ever since. I LOVE THIS OLD GIRL!!! I named her Sweet Melissa, as that was the song I plaid on her when I took her off the shelf and decided to buy her. I would like to experiment with the strings, I'm currently playing Ernie Ball acoustic strings, and they have some years on them. When using a pick, I get that "too loud" feeling, but I mostly practice in my basement, and that might just be the sensation of the sound back on me.