EP9 Euphoria review by Ibanez

Ibanez: EP9 Euphoria

Purchased from: Brent's Music

The guitar suits my style of playing but more so for me pleases my ear and eye. Normally I plug straight into a board so I can play along with whatever music type I want. The "Aura" system in basically useless using headphones (Sony MDR-V900). Using the aura w/headphones produces a terrible tinny sound, luckily all I have to do is use the slider control for pickup only. I have played the guitar through a Crate "Gunnison" acoustic amp with great results. This combination was made even better by adding a Ibanez TS808 Tube Screamer. Sound combinations are endless by using the edit switch to fine tune a particular sound.

The EP is a pleasure to play. It's by far the best Guitar I own. I traded my Guild Songbird in to purchase the Ibanez and I have never regretted doing so. I also own a old Yamaha FG430. If the EP9 were lost or stolen I would be ill. I am in love with it's look, feel and sound. It's gonna be with me till the end.

I would hesitate to use this guitar for Live playing only because it's too good looking to risk damage. The guitar is well built and I excpect over time will prove to be a winner. All hardware is of high quality. I am curious to find out how the finish handles the aging process. I don't think the reliability of the Fishman components are cause for concern.

Set-up from the factory/dealer fell short of perfect. Action on the guitar was quite high but easily corrected. Fit and Finish are about what I excpected. For me it was truly love at first sight and I never grow bored with it's looks. One sore spot I did have was the lack of a owners manual for the aura. Repeated request's to the dealer produced little more than aggravation. One phone call by me to Fishman resulted in a manual within a couple of days

Manufactured, 2006 in China this Steve Vai signature model is a follow up to the original EP7. It features a mahogany neck with 25 1/2-inch rosewood finger board that has a Pearloid Tree Of Life inlay that traverses it's length. Solid mahogany back and sides and Engelmann spruce for the top. It has a low gloss "root beer" finish. I guess it's a grand Concert body style with a cutaway. The sound hole is oval and ringed by a heiroglyphic rosette. It incorporates a Fishman Acoustic Matrix undersaddle pickup in conjunction with a Fishman Aura Acoustic Imaging Blender System w/on-board tuner. Controls include 3-Band EQ, on-board tuner, anti feed-back, blender (aura/pickup), image select, edit, phase and volume. Satin Gold Grover tuners are used and look great against the black headstock which is inlayed with Abalone. Case was not included in purchase price.

Ischi
    I won't try and write a review for this guitar, I think it was summed up well enough by the first one! The guitar is an incredile instrument, and the sound is beautiful to my ear. However, I did get a case with my purchase! Ah well.
    fretsonfire74
    I played this once and it was beautiful. Not only did it sound great, it was the most playable acoustic I've ever played and has great upper fret access.
    tushmeister
    I've got one of these, absolutely love the thing. The only problem I had was that the case seems to rub a spot of the paint off, in the centre about 3 inches below the bridge, I had problems with the electronics in mine so sent it back and got a new one and the exact same thing happened again, so I've a spot that annoys me But it adds character I suppose, and she still sounds delightful ^.^ Good review (Y)
    logicbdj
    This is an older review, but I just bought one used from a guy I know... paid $950 Canadian and I would rather have this than risk an EP10 from a guitar store. I say 'risk' because the action is so friggin' low on this it's like playing an electric.