EW2012ASE Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 02/23/2011 category: Acoustic Guitars
Ibanez: EW2012ASE
There's a three-band eq, as well as a built in anti-feedback, phase reverse, and chorus controls. It's got 20 frets, which is definitely enough for a twelve string acoustic.
 9.1
 9.2
 3,036
review (1) 9 comments vote for this gear:
EW2012ASE Reviewed by: GEORG30, on february 23, 2011

Price paid: C$ 700

Purchased from: Local Music Shop

Features: This was my first electric acoustic, but the controls seem pretty good, there's a three-band eq, as well as a built in anti-feedback, phase reverse, and chorus controls. It's got 20 frets, which is definitely enough for a twelve string acoustic. The cutaway is also nice, it provides quite a bit of room, while not looking out of place or weird. The neck is quite thin (22mm) which is a matter of preference, personally I love it. It's got a dual action truss rod, however I've yet to use it (the factory setup was great.) The EW2012 is also equipped with an XLR output, in addition to the standard 1/4 inch jack. // 10

Sound: Personally I usually don't give too much thought into tones or sounds when it comes to playing, however I immediately noticed the great sound this instrument makes. It's crisp, bright sound suits every type of music I play (and I play a lot of different styles) It sounds great for lead or rhythm lines. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory setup on this instrument was great, the action is as near perfect as I can ask for. The strings are fairly close to the fretboard, especially for an acoustic, with no buzz anywhere. The finish is nice and clear, and really lets you see the natural beauty of the figured ash body. There was one major flaw however, on the low E side of the neck, along the line where the nut sits, there is a tiny crack about 2 cm long. It isn't in the actual wood, or the top layer of the finish, but in one of the middle layers, it is neither a structural problem, nor very noticeable, however it's the only reason this category doesn't receive a 10. Other than that everything is perfect, the tuners are Ibanez made, and seem built-to-last, as do the bridge and nut. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've only owned this guitar for a little while, but as far as I can tell it is high quality, and durable. The controls are sturdy, as well as the rest of the components, from the factory, there is no wear on the nut or the bridge. Everything seems solid, and I doubt I'll need an upgrade for quite a while, if ever. // 9

Overall Impression: I mostly play electric guitar, with styles ranging from classic rock, to punk, to progressive metal, but I also love Acoustic music, I own a Washburn six string, and this guitar blows it away, It's far better than any twelve string I've ever played. I love the appearance and playability of the guitar, the only thing I dislike is the seem where the two haves of the top wood meet, but I don't mind it, and it is of course a matter of preference, I am happy with every aspect of this guitar and would have definitely paid more if I had to. // 9

Comments