EW20ASE review by Ibanez

Ibanez: EW20ASE

Purchased from: Ebay

It sounds pretty good, not great though. The stock strings are very poor. A new set of strings is a must. I recommend Dean Markley's. It kind of has a sound between bright and warm but slightly towards bright. I get some fret buzz on the 13th and 14th fret even with proper string height and neck setup. I'm not sure if it's just mine or if it applies to all of them though.

Overall, the guitar is very well built and the natural wood finish is very nice. If only the action/fit/finish was better, it would be a perfect guitar. I purchased it new on ebay for $225.00USD. With shipping it came to about $300.00CAN (I'm from Canada). For the price I paid, it was a great deal. I would not purchase this guitar Brand New at a local music store though. the last time I checked, they go for about $500-600 canadian and about $400-500 american. If I broke it or if it was stolen, I would purchase another one if and only if I can get it for a great price.

It is very well built. The hardware is ok. I would perform with this guitar without a backup. I am not giving it a 10 because I feel that the electronic parts could have been much better. They aren't bad but I am slightly worried that they could fail. Plus the b-band buttons move around too easily.

The action in my opinion is slightly high and the neck was not properly adjusted when I recieved my guitar. The strings were poor and I got some fret buzz on the 13th and 14th fret after proper adjustments. I could also feel the binding protruding around the neck joint, although, that could be due to the hot weather and the guitar not being cared for properly from the shipper/during shipping. Other than that, everything else was perfect.

Mine was made in 2009, so it is the newest model available. The body is made out of Ash wood and the neck is made out of mahogany. It has ivory binding on the neck and around the body of the guitar. The fretboard and the bridge is made out of rosewood and it has a "signature" inlay on the 12th fret.

midimcnasty
    Following up on my review from 04-08-09. As I have become more experienced as a musician, my requirements/tastes in what I want in my instruments has change a little. Also my experience with playing numerous other makes and models has increased. Based upon that I would ammend my review to 8.5 or so. Mainly because I am fnding there are other accoustic/electrics in this price range that are also very nice instruments. I still thinks this one shines though, and I use almost daily, and have for the last year. Its my go to practice guitar. It has held up well, though it is a little bulky seems to have a mind of its own when it comes to bumps and scrapes (though this is likely operator error). All things considered I am still very happy with this guitar, I would definitely purchase another is this was lost.
    DocMcQuay
    I've been gigging for over 20 years, and I'm just damned tired of high-end, over-priced Martins and Taylors that are simply too persnickity to be on the road. Constantly coddled, the slightest change in temp and humidity and it's time to adjust the neck AGAIN. Oh, wait... it was a little warm and humid in Key West, all the glue joints are falling apart. I've just ordered an EW20ASENT because it's a beautiful axe that I believe will hold up on the road a hell of a lot better than my Martin. Besides, with the state of electronics, it's possible to make any instrument short of a Sears Silvertone sound perfectly wonderful... Paying so much for the name on the headstock is just dumb anymore. I'll post again when I've been gigging with this for 6 months and provide an update. C'mon Wid it, Ibanez!
    broodl8
    Sorry I'm new to UG and I just picked up the EW20ASNT1201 Model just the other day. Same style just without the Cutaway and without the electronics. It wasn't til after did the question of "Is this guitar Laminate or solid wood" hit me. Doesn't really matter because I really like the tone and playability of it. I'm just curious for the sake of knowing and caring for the guitar itself.
    pdavis68
    I have this guitar and absolutely love it. In addition to the great looks and fantastic tone and all the other great features people have mentioned, it's got a very playable neck. As someone cursed with short, stubby fingers, a lot of acoustics have a neck that's just too wide for me to wrap my fingers around (I like to thumb the low E on some stuff). The action is a little high and I'm thinking about having mine reduced a bit, but otherwise I just love this guitar.