EW20QME review by Ibanez

Ibanez: EW20QME

Purchased from: Thomann

Acoustically it's a bit boxy. Playing it through a small PA (2 12" and horn) the pickup system delivers in spades. I've never had a easier time getting an electro-acoustic to sound great. The pickup system is the SRTc licensed by B-band. The phase switching works great as does the feedback cancellation slider. Output is very strong and EQ flat is truly a good neutral position. Most pickup systems you have to begin with all bands topped up then back way off the mids and a bit on the highs to get a well rounded sound, not so on this. I play with a very wide range of dynamics and this guitar seems to take it all very well. I rate this a category a 7 because of the lack luster Acoustic sound. I purchased this guitar for live work. If I wanted outstanding Acoustic tone I would have gone with a Morgan, Larive, Breedlove etc.

For a full time gigging musician this one is definitely a candidate for the quiver. It's showy, sounds great, and is very playable. Salvador Ibez is definitely giving Hoshino Gakki a high five for this one.

Durability needs to be proven. With the bad experience from the AEL20 and it's completely useless pickups I am still a little gun shy. I will be keeping a back up at gigs for awhile. Everything seems to be built rock-solid. Good machines, solid bracing, no hairline gaps in the binding. All good.

Considering the guitar was shipped form Germany to Northern Ireland in Autumn temperatures it was set up fairly well. The action is a tad high in the upper ranges but the intonation seems pretty intact. I would certainly consider it a "giggable" guitar right out of the box.

When I read reviews I always want to know who it is that's doing the reviewing. My main credential is that I've been gigging for 30 years with a focus on the Acoustic guitar. I reserve a 10 rating for a review that equates to "mind-blowing". My Ibanez EW20 arrived today - it's the bubinga wood, some call it African rosewood but either way it's absolutely stunning. It has a unique cutaway similar to the early Breedloves (I was the proud owner of Steve and Larry's #33). I have an Ibanez AEL20E with the Ibanez SST by Fishman pickup system (that unfortunately hasn't worked since the day I bought it - why I still have it is a long story not told here) - my point is - the neck is shorter and slimmer from front to back though the width of the fretboard seems the similar. Mine came with a gig bag and a strap, both are quality.

shermdaddy
    I'm not sure if this is true for the 6-string version, but I looked up a review for the similar 12-string EW20AS on youtube and the guy said it had no truss rod.. this worried me a bit. Just thought I'd throw that out there if anyone wants to look into it.