EW20QME review by Ibanez

Ibanez: EW20QME

Purchased from: Alison's Music Gonzales La

This thing sounds great. I love the way it sounds. Nice deep and rich sound with very nice ringing overtones. I have never plugged this guitar in yet! As I have had some problems with the preamp draining the battery fast, I have stopped putting batteries in it. And one of the reasons I bought this guitar was to have the ability to "Plug It IN!" I have also had trouble using the tuner. It just is hard to use. Haven't figured it out yet. And with the battery drain going on I just haven't isolated the problem yet. But this in no way alters my opinion of this guitar. I am disappointed about the preamp/tuner/battery drain, but I love the way this thing sounds!

I use this guitar at home for personal enjoyment. I have played guitar for over 40 years. I would buy this guitar again is it was lost or stolen. I did compare this to a Fender acoustic and another acoustic that I don't remember the brand name before I bought this Ibanez just to make sure that the sound I was getting was not a result of the room I was in or other factors. Just to do a self check. I choose this one because of the sound closely followed by the looks!

I'm gonna ding this guitar for the battery drain issue. I will also ding it for the tuner functionality. Other than that, everything else is quality. The tuners are good quality and ratio. Smooth finish with no flaws (except that one I can't find now!). The tail is made of Rosewood and appears to be attached well. Time will tell here. Inside bracing looks good with no sloppy work apparent.

Action is nice. After having it over a year, I have not had to adjust anything. It still plays extremely well as the day I got it. My plan was to adjust the neck after she settled in to her new home. But after all this time, I just never have been displeased enough to do anything to it! It plays beautifully! This thing looks absolutely gorgeous. Stunningly beautiful! And it was the looks that drew me in. After looking at it (I was not in the market for a new guitar as I have too many already) and drooling over the finish, I just had to pick it up and play it to see if the sound matched the looks. To my surprise it did! I didn't buy it that day. But could not get it out of my mind. I had to have that guitar. It does have one flaw that I noticed before I bought it. When I showed it to the store manager, he gave me a price reduction. Now I can't remember where the flaw is and can not find it! The quilted top is bookmatched almost perfectly. You have to look REAL close to see the line at all. And the binding is flawless. Also the abalone inlays around the sound hole and logo are also perfect. I mean this guitar is BEAUTIFUL!

I received this guitar in 2010 as a Christmas present. 20 thin frets (thinner than on my other acoustics). Natural finish on Quilted top. Cutaway body that is thicker at tail-pin than it is at the neck. This wasn't noticed at first. Active B Band preamp and also on board tuner. Binding all around body back, front, and sides. Ibanez Tuners. No accessories came with it.