EW20QME Review

1,882
reviews (3) pictures (1) 14 comments vote for this gear:
EW20QME Reviewed by: flaminhotcheeto, on november 14, 2008

Purchased from: Accent Music

Features: It's a pretty new model, but not sure the exact year it was made. Made in China. It has a 20 fret rosewood neck. It has a quilted maple body and all around looks amazing! The finish is nice and the usual wear and tear of guitar playing is not evident after over a year. It has a rosewood bridge and an abalone rosette. It does not have the fret markers in the traditional place but has tiny dots on the side of the neck. Around the 12th fret it has a sweet looking inlay that I really like. It is an acoustic/electric and has B-Band UST pickups. The preamp is nice (has Bass, Mid, and Treble control w/ volume and notch frequency) and comes with a tuner and a phase control to eliminate feedback. I also appreciate that it has not only the standard 1/4" output but also an XLR output as well. // 10

Sound: Oh the sound. The sound is amazing. Especially for the price. I continually get comments on how heavenly a sound it makes. I use light strings (usually D'Addarios) and it produces a nice clear tone that would fit in with any type of acoustic style. I play mainly acoustic rock and worship music on this guitar. Plugged in or unplugged it has great tone. The only problem is when unplugged the guitar is quieter than other acoustics I have played. While it's not necessarily a bad thing, it has frustrated me once or twice while playing with my friends. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: After owning it for over a year, I have not needed to fix anything. The action straight from the store was nice and low, but did not give me buzzing. I could not find any flaws with the finish or construction except that the battery tray was kind of flimsy, but it does not effect the look, feel, or sound of this guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have used this guitar Live a good number of times and have relied on it a lot. It is very dependable, and I would most likely do a gig without a backup (especially since this is my only acoustic in playable shape). The hardware is solid and so are the strap buttons. I have noticed that there are some pick marks in the finish when you hold the guitar up to a light, but it's nothing noticeable otherwise. // 9

Overall Impression: I love this guitar. I would definitely recommend this guitar. Like I said before, when I use this guitar I play acoustic rock (mainly of the classic rock type but have been known to play all types) and worship music, and it fits in perfectly. What really did it for me was the look of the quilted maple, it's beautiful. The sound is great just a little on the quiet side. If it were stolen/lost, I would definitely buy another. // 9

EW20QME Reviewed by: Gremsongs, on july 06, 2012

Purchased from: Alison's Music Gonzales La

Features: I received this guitar in 2010 as a Christmas present. 20 thin frets (thinner than on my other acoustics). Natural finish on Quilted top. Cutaway body that is thicker at tail-pin than it is at the neck. This wasn't noticed at first. Active B Band preamp and also on board tuner. Binding all around body back, front, and sides. Ibanez Tuners. No accessories came with it. // 7

Sound: This thing sounds great. I love the way it sounds. Nice deep and rich sound with very nice ringing overtones. I have never plugged this guitar in yet! As I have had some problems with the preamp draining the battery fast, I have stopped putting batteries in it. And one of the reasons I bought this guitar was to have the ability to "Plug It IN!" I have also had trouble using the tuner. It just is hard to use. Haven't figured it out yet. And with the battery drain going on I just haven't isolated the problem yet. But this in no way alters my opinion of this guitar. I am disappointed about the preamp/tuner/battery drain, but I love the way this thing sounds! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Action is nice. After having it over a year, I have not had to adjust anything. It still plays extremely well as the day I got it. My plan was to adjust the neck after she settled in to her new home. But after all this time, I just never have been displeased enough to do anything to it! It plays beautifully! This thing looks absolutely gorgeous. Stunningly beautiful! And it was the looks that drew me in. After looking at it (I was not in the market for a new guitar as I have too many already) and drooling over the finish, I just had to pick it up and play it to see if the sound matched the looks. To my surprise it did! I didn't buy it that day. But could not get it out of my mind. I had to have that guitar. It does have one flaw that I noticed before I bought it. When I showed it to the store manager, he gave me a price reduction. Now I can't remember where the flaw is and can not find it! The quilted top is bookmatched almost perfectly. You have to look REAL close to see the line at all. And the binding is flawless. Also the abalone inlays around the sound hole and logo are also perfect. I mean this guitar is BEAUTIFUL! // 9

Reliability & Durability: I'm gonna ding this guitar for the battery drain issue. I will also ding it for the tuner functionality. Other than that, everything else is quality. The tuners are good quality and ratio. Smooth finish with no flaws (except that one I can't find now!). The tail is made of Rosewood and appears to be attached well. Time will tell here. Inside bracing looks good with no sloppy work apparent. // 6

Overall Impression: I use this guitar at home for personal enjoyment. I have played guitar for over 40 years. I would buy this guitar again is it was lost or stolen. I did compare this to a Fender acoustic and another acoustic that I don't remember the brand name before I bought this Ibanez just to make sure that the sound I was getting was not a result of the room I was in or other factors. Just to do a self check. I choose this one because of the sound closely followed by the looks! // 9

EW20QME Reviewed by: Phoenix9, on october 14, 2010

Purchased from: Thomann

Features: When I read reviews I always want to know who it is that's doing the reviewing. My main credential is that I've been gigging for 30 years with a focus on the Acoustic guitar. I reserve a 10 rating for a review that equates to "mind-blowing". My Ibanez EW20 arrived today - it's the bubinga wood, some call it African rosewood but either way it's absolutely stunning. It has a unique cutaway similar to the early Breedloves (I was the proud owner of Steve and Larry's #33). I have an Ibanez AEL20E with the Ibanez SST by Fishman pickup system (that unfortunately hasn't worked since the day I bought it - why I still have it is a long story not told here) - my point is - the neck is shorter and slimmer from front to back though the width of the fretboard seems the similar. Mine came with a gig bag and a strap, both are quality. // 9

Sound: Acoustically it's a bit boxy. Playing it through a small PA (2 12" and horn) the pickup system delivers in spades. I've never had a easier time getting an electro-acoustic to sound great. The pickup system is the SRTc licensed by B-band. The phase switching works great as does the feedback cancellation slider. Output is very strong and EQ flat is truly a good neutral position. Most pickup systems you have to begin with all bands topped up then back way off the mids and a bit on the highs to get a well rounded sound, not so on this. I play with a very wide range of dynamics and this guitar seems to take it all very well. I rate this a category a 7 because of the lack luster Acoustic sound. I purchased this guitar for live work. If I wanted outstanding Acoustic tone I would have gone with a Morgan, Larive, Breedlove etc. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Considering the guitar was shipped form Germany to Northern Ireland in Autumn temperatures it was set up fairly well. The action is a tad high in the upper ranges but the intonation seems pretty intact. I would certainly consider it a "giggable" guitar right out of the box. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Durability needs to be proven. With the bad experience from the AEL20 and it's completely useless pickups I am still a little gun shy. I will be keeping a back up at gigs for awhile. Everything seems to be built rock-solid. Good machines, solid bracing, no hairline gaps in the binding. All good. // 9

Overall Impression: For a full time gigging musician this one is definitely a candidate for the quiver. It's showy, sounds great, and is very playable. Salvador Ibez is definitely giving Hoshino Gakki a high five for this one. // 9

Comments