IJV50 Jumpstart review by Ibanez

Ibanez: IJV50 Jumpstart

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

I usually play classic rock but some of the songs require an excellent Acoustic sound (such as the Eagles, the Beach Boys, early Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson). This guitar delivers with ease despite the price. I can get a good bluegrass sound out of it without trying.

I play classic rock and this guitar works for Eagles, Beatles, and Bob Dylan covers. I've been playing since 2007 and the successor to this guitar was a Silvertone Revolver. If someone stole this guitar from me, I'd buy another one because of the excellent price.

I never played this alive but I think it would survive even a crazed Lollapalooza gig. The strap buttons never let me down and I once hung it from my neck and played without any arm support. I wouldn't bring it to a gig with a backup because it stays in tune easily and I once punched the body hard to prove it was "indestructable". The finish seemed solid and I never saw any wear.

I don't usually care about the action unless I can't fret higher than the 7th fret. The action on this guitar was just perfect for me; not too high, not too low. The bridge worked best with GHS Jammers Lights (0.12-0.56). The only flaw I could find was that the low E string buzzed the first day I got it.

This guitar was made in '08 in Japan. It had 20 frets embedded into a rosewood fretboard. It had what looked like a laminated spruce top and mahogany back, sides, neck, and headstock. It had a Stellar natural finish that reminded me of a Taylor. The body was a dreadnought and it had the usual Acoustic bridge.