JSA10 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 07/10/2012 category: Acoustic Guitars
Ibanez: JSA10
The fact that even though it is a signature Joe Satriani model it still is an inconspicuous guitar, is sold me.
 7.8
 8.4
 7.2
 3,219
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
JSA10 Reviewed by: shreddinater, on july 10, 2012

Price paid: A$ 1450

Purchased from: Ellaways

Features: 2010 Joe Satriani Acoustic Steel String. It's Black with mother of pearl edging around soundhole and body edge. Black is rather plain but the inlays are rather stunning. I wish they had made the Ibanez headstock logo inlay in mother of pearl as well but it's just plain white. Bit of a weird Fishman pick-up, all the controls are in the top of the soundhole, but now that I am used to it I actually like it. Once you know where the controls are it is quite easy to adjust. // 9

Sound: When the guitar was new I was a bit dissapointed with it's overall sound projection and sustain. I put it down to it being new wood and also the fact that it is really an electric acoustic. Two years on sustain and sound are much better but it's when you plug it in when it really shines. I love playing Al Di Meola, Satch, Vai, Yngwie, John McLaughlin, Steve Morse and this guitar definately shreds nicely. She runs very quietly but still doesn't sound as good as my Ibanez 1976 Concorde with retrofit Fishman. Maybe she will in another 35 years. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Not a bad set-up from factory but I still lowered the action, after all, have you tried playing "Orient Blue" without a superlow action. Slight imperfection on guitar top (scuff) but Ellaways dropped 50 dollars off for that. Apart from that, perfect, and a nice hardcase to boot. I like black and my Concorde is also black so they are a matching pair. I am a big fan of functionable inlays and the mother of pearl is sweet. I run her with Thomastik Plectrum .011 to .050 because I like flatwounds for shredding. Very easy to play and get around on. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would feel fine using this guitar live but as an a acoustic it is a light guitar so care would need to be taken. I wouldn't let idiots anywhere near it that's for sure. Case is heavyduty so I am always inclined to keep it near the side of the stage but I am always paranoid about my girls (all 5 Ibanez's) The only pain is you have to remove the strings to change the 9 volt battery but I just put an Energiser Ultimate Lithium in the last time I changed strings and make sure I unplug her. // 8

Overall Impression: I love my Ibanez 1976 Concorde but I had always been looking for a nice Ibanez with a cut away that was'nt built like a brick and for me it was a toss up between the EP9 Euphoria and the JSA10BK. The JSA10BK is $500 cheaper, and the fact that even though it is a signature Joe Satriani model it still is an inconspicuous guitar compared to the EP9, and that sold me. Hope to have her in my stable for decades to come. // 9

Comments