TCY10 Talman Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 02/28/2012 category: Acoustic Guitars
Ibanez: TCY10 Talman
Talman series double cutaway acoustic/electric guitar featuring a spruce top, mahogany neck, and Piezo Transducer pickup.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.8
 20,257
reviews (5) pictures (2) 7 comments vote for this gear:
TCY10 Talman Reviewed by: nez46, on february 18, 2005

Purchased from: Ams

Features: I'm not sure of the year it was made or where for that matter. It has 21 frets and good thin neck maple wood. Polished finish on the overall guitar. It has a Teleacoustic shape to the body. It has a Tele style bridge. And it has active electronics EQ built in pickup. It has a tree way selector switch. Locking tuners and they are silver. Nothing comes with it. // 10

Sound: Well it fits my music style good my style is acoustic but I also like the pickup so I can plug it up to and amp and play around with the sound. It has a vary rich sound and bright soung to it. It dosen't have much variety to the sound the selector switch not much. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory did an excellent job they put evything together perfect no dents, scratches, lose parts, and the selector switches were perfect. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Yes it will it has great duribility. I've tuned it and once its tuned for bout two months they don't move. The strap buttons have not come lose yet. You can depend on this one u wouldnt need a back up. The finish is like concrete I've droped a couple of time and the finish has still not chiped. // 10

Overall Impression: I play christain punk music and it's a real good match. I've been playing for bout 3 years now. I own a Montana and it not good compared to the Ibanez. Nothing I would have asked before buying. If it were stolen I would buy another one ASAP. The small body the thing I hate is really nothin my fav feature is the selector switch. I compared to Fender and Yamaha this had the best price with the kind of excellent quality it's got. // 10

TCY10 Talman Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 28, 2005

Purchased from: Brook Mays Music Store

Features: This guitar is an acoustic/electric and it was made in China. It has 20 frets with a pearl dot inlay. It has a spruce top and mahogany wood. It has a gloss blue finish which I really love. The controls are volume, treble, and bass. It has Die Cast (CH) tuners. I got my guitar in a pack, so it came with alot of accessories. It came with a tuner (quik tune, which was a peice of crap), a chord, and polish + rag. // 8

Sound: This doesn't really suit my music style which is punk. The amp I'm using is a 10 watt (yes, I know) Troubadour IBZ10A. I'm using no effects. It's not noisy unless you crank the volume and treble way up (which I have done before). It sounds good plugged in and unplugged. Please note that my first guitar sounded like crap, the wood was rotted, and the strings were far apart from the wood. This is only my second guitar. Compared to my first guitar, this sounds like heaven! // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: No mistakes that I've found. The frets don't lock, so I have to tune it every other day. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would be a good one to play live. The strap buttons are pretty solid. I reccomend a locking strap (that's what I have) so the strap will have a firm hold on the button. I personally don't take very much risks. I would have a backup guitar if I were playing live. But yes, I can depend on it. I have had this guitar for 7 months now, and I play it all the time. The only thing wrong with the finish now is that it has tons of scratches on it, since I am so clumsy. // 6

Overall Impression: Like I said earlier, I am a punk rocker. Not really a good match, but it's still a nice guitar. I'm planning to buy a Jackson soon. If it was stolen, I would be so f--kin' mad but I wouldn't buy it again. I love the look, I love the sound. I hate that I am so stupid to get so many scratches on it. // 6

TCY10 Talman Reviewed by: exiles23, on august 25, 2008

Purchased from: UpTempo

Features: This is a 2008 Electro Acoustic Guitar in black. It is made from mahogany and spruce with a rosewood fretboard. It looks absoloutely stunning. The pre amp is very good with volume, treble and bass controls, which work perfectly as you would expect. The only problem that can be slightly annoying is that to use he onboard tuner (which again is very good) you must have a lead plugged into, which if your playing without an amp can be annoying sometimes. The cutaway is the main thing that drew me to the guitar, but it won't be for everyone. But it allows almost limitless higher fretboard access unlike many other acoustics. The tuners are good quality of Ibanez make, and the D'addorio strings sound great. // 9

Sound: First off the sound without an amp rivals that of many larger acoustics. This guitar is very thin and you could expect there to be limited acoustics but it is suprisingly loud and the tone is very full. The tone settings can be changed, and the changes are again very good and you don't get any dull spots of sound when trying to find more bass/treble. The guitar sounds very good for acoustic rock and punk. If your looking for a more classical sound then you definately want to look elsewhere but for everything else it is almost flawless. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar's setup was reasonably good. There was a little more action then I would of liked but after a bit of fiddling I was able to cancel it out. The only other faults I can find are where the neck joins the body you can see a little bit of glue around the edges. But for a guitar that is only 150 quid you can't complain at all. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is very solid and for a smaller guitar it feels much more solid then larger counterparts. This is probably due the smaller acoustic space. Would definately be able to withstand plenty of gigs. However the black finish is easily marked by fingerprints so may want to keep a cloth in your bag. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar, for the price, is absoloutely superb and I would pay well over that price for it if I lost it. I love it. The styling however is not for some people so i would definately try the guitar before you buy (obvious I know). However they are not stocked in many shops in the UK. // 9

TCY10 Talman Reviewed by: del_rio, on october 19, 2009

Purchased from: Craigslist/Pawn Shop

Features: - Manufactured in Korea in April 2008 - 20 frets, rosewood fretboard and bridge - Solid spruce top, neck and body are mahogany - Strat/Ibanez Talman style. Tele style bridge - 2-band EQ preamp (9V battery powered) w/ Ibanez Piezo pickup, all on the side - mfr. chrome tuners - came with extra pins and bridge, as well as an allen wrench for truss adjustment // 10

Sound: The sound is on the warmer side (great to me; not so keen on brightness). It sounds very full, and though I never really push it's limits, the guitar can get pretty loud. It's incredibly good compared to other acoustics with this style body (for example, the cheap-sounding Fender Stratacoustic). It definitely outdoes similarly priced acoustics (MSRP-wise, I'm talking about). Works with my style (a very general style). Radiohead songs sound awesome on it with or without an amp. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Well, the setup was great. Intonation was fabulous and the glossy black finish is beautiful. I adjusted the already pretty low action, simply because it's my style. The tuners are amazing (never gets out of tune... ever). There seems to be a loose wire somewhere in the preamp system, but you can't tell unless it's shaken a lot. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Really durable. I managed to put a tiny chip in the headstock by droping it onto concrete, but it's so small (and sharpied), I really never notice it. Heck, I didn't remember that happened until I began writing this review. The guitar's inner body is seriously firm and solid. Strap buttons solid, will never put another one on it. I'd definitely us it in a gig (even if for the looks alone). Doesn't look like the gloss will wear off for a very, very long time (I wax my guitars). // 10

Overall Impression: I gotta say, I'm really impressed with this guitar. Very versatile. Been playing it for 6 months, hasn't let me down one bit (the Ernie Ball strings, however, are a different story). If stolen, I would pay the ransom to get it back XD In a nutshell, it's not only the best-looking guitar I've ever owned, but it's also Acoustic. // 10

TCY10 Talman Reviewed by: epison fender, on february 28, 2012

Purchased from: guitarcenter

Features: - Body Shape: Talman Double Cutaway - Neck: Mahogany Neck - BackSides: Mahogany Back and Sides - Top: Spruce Top - Rosette: Black and White Multi Rosette - Tuners: Ibanez Chrome Die-Cast Tuners - Pickup: Ibanez Piezo Pickup - Electronics: Ibanez AEQ200T Preamp with 2-Band EQ and Onboard Tuner - Fretboard: Rosewood Bridge and Fretboard - Saddle: Ivorex II Nut and Saddle - BridgePins: Advantage Bridge Pins - Strings: Ibanez Coated Acoustic Strings - Finishes: Black High Gloss Finish - Body Dimensions: - Width: 14" - Depth: 3.25" - Length: 18" - Neck Dimensions: - Scale/Length: 25.5" (648mm) - Width at Nut: 1.69" (43mm) - Width at Joint: 2.16" (55mm) - Thickness 1st Fret: .79" (20mm) - Thickness 7th Fret: .83" (21mm) - Radius: 11.8" (300mm) - Talman Double Cutaway Body - Mahogany Neck - Rosewood Bridge and Fretboard - Ivorex II Nut and Saddle - Advantage Bridge Pins // 10

Sound: A little bit of rock and country the sound sticks out and is reliability is amazing but can't use with distortion and is loud at its average volume setting. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The body style is amazing but you can see all of the finger prints on the body the neck is nice and strong and smooth but I did recognize a flaw on the head or top off the guitar is a plastic piece that is supposed to be long enough to fit under the nut but doesn't quite make it but overall is a nice reliable guitar. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Once again this is a reliable guitar the built in tuner only works when plugged in to a amp or a chord. // 9

Overall Impression: I play some classic rock some country and some rock and sounds good but depends on what rock songs you want to play. // 9

Comments