Scout review by Indiana

Indiana: Scout

Purchased from: CrazyHorse MusicStore

I get a nice warm Acoustic sound out of it. It suits my playing very well. It sounds nice with a pick, or finger style. It isn't an acoustic/electric so you don't have to worry about EQ and whatnot. Basically it sounds exactly like an Acoustic guitar should sound like.

I play mostly country, and southern rock. This guitar fits it perfectly. I have had this Acoustic for a year and I don't dream of replacing it. Its a very basic Acoustic guitar, for a very reasonable price, and the best part is that it plays well and sounds even better!

This guitar is definitely durable. I let my boyfriend play it and he doesn't watch where he goes so it's been smashed very hard into walls numerous times. My cats have jumped on top of it when I've layed it down. The only thing this guitar has to show of all this abuse is a scratch and a small dent. I would use this guitar live and not worry about a back up.

The action on this guitar was fine, I haven't changed it since I bought it. The only flaw I could find on this guitar were a few finish flaws around where the neck and body meet, but you would have to look really close to even notice them. This guitar is pretty much flawless.

This was made in China, I don't know what year. It's got 20 nickel frets and diecast chrome tuners. It's got a Lindenwood top with catalpa back and sides, a rosewood fretboard, and a rosewood bridge. Mine is a beautiful blue dreadnought Acoustic with a high gloss finish and a black pickgaurd. My guitar came with a gig bag, and a 10 year warranty. Overall its a very basic Acoustic guitar, and I like that.

Sharigon300
    This was the type of guitar that i started out with, i got it 3 years ago. I played for a week and it was in the closet for 2 years. I finaly gained my intrest back and fixed up the guitar. It needed the bridge glued back on it and new strings, then i never put it back down! They are cheap guitars but you are so right, they are great starters and extremly durable. They can get banged around a bit and still last the clumsy starters(like me) I have now gotten 3 more guitars, a Gibson, Ibenez, and a Framus 12, even though i have them. I still pull out the Indiana for some of my Green Day, Seether, or other country songs... (Martin Mediums sound amazing on it!!)
    fly4acracka
    Im not sure what model it is, maybe a scout, but I have an Indiana, and I have mixed feelings about it. True the action is way too high, and no sustain on notes or especially bends. In my opinion if youre trying to rip sweet solos on acoustic, buy a nicer guitar, but for simple chords and rythym this 1 suits me fine. As far as the "grand canyon" action I agree, its terrible, but I use it to my advantage. I recommend using this as a practice guitar for before gigs or around the house, if you play this first then a good guitar feels likes the chords are holding themselves.
    kyle17428
    i have an indiana scout, its not bad. i wouldnt gig with it but its a great practice guitar. looks nice to- and it sounds a hundred times better than any fenders in that price range, thats for sure! i think a little bit of work on the action and a better set of strings are in order and it should be very decent. if i were to go and review it id say an 8. really. but still not as good as the ibanez acoustic i got for about the same price.
    ratlr
    Why such high reviews? I have played on a Scout before and they are crap. And I mean crap. They have absolutely no sustain, the action is is like the Grand Canyon by the time you get to the fifteenth fret, and they are laminate top. If you are looking to get an entry level guitar, I don't recommend a Scout. You could get a used Fender dreadnaught laminate-top for about the same price at a local instrument pawn shop or music store. Bottom line: they suck. Your fingers hurt like hell after an hour or less. Don't buy one.
    standbylife
    Kurt1964
    standbylife wrote: Scout really does have a crap sound. One of the worst I've played and I've played a lot.
    I absolutely agree with you!